The infamous semicolon: protecting the soundpack and protecting English, anyone?

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
artus

The infamous semicolon: protecting the soundpack and protecting English, anyone?

Post by artus »

Hey folks
I know it's been a problem for years since Clok time since semicolon is used as a symbol for command stacking for ages especially those coming from mush-z as part of alter aeon soundpack, which has semicolon as part of the server side command stacking. Many mush users still prefer that as a way to command stack, so I've made it default in my pack ever since I started making it, which dated all the way back 8 years ago to Clok time. The problem with this is that it conflicts with possibly a plugin or a way mush sends commands for whatever reason and instead of reading it normally, it goes to the command input and sends to the world instead. My suspicion is the channel history plugin, or it can be anything I don't suspect. I don't know yet.
I'm putting this out here in case anyone finds a fix, and as a warning to anyone else using semicolons to be careful in case whatever after semicolon ends up being a command, as in the case of a blush after semicolon that makes every mush user online blush unintentionally. Perhaps part of it is my own lack of coding knowledge. I hope getting this topic out could call for a hand or two or three to fix it. Once I find a fix, I'll roll out the new official update as soon as I ca n to get the default plugin out. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.