Suggestions for More Woodworking Recipes

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Oracle

Suggestions for More Woodworking Recipes

Post by Oracle »

Woodworking is super fun! I get a real thrill out of foraging for random branches and then using them to make things. I'd love it if we were able to woodwork some more wearable items, though.
  • Ring
  • Bangle
  • Circlet
  • Beads (maybe this would make an item that is a selection of beads that can then be used...)
  • Necklace (using a selection of wood beads and a skein)
  • Anklet (using a selection of wood beads and a skein)
  • Bracelet (using a selection of wood beads and a skein)
  • Pendant/charm (to decorate necklaces, anklets, bracelets; multiple choice options like with figurines, etc.)
  • Headdress (maybe too weird of a one but what if you could like get some feathers and a circlet and make a headdress? I dunno how the code would determine the name of the resulting item. Maybe like wood type + feather type? A juniper and turkey feather headdress. A pine and raven feather headdress. Who knows.)
Oracle

Re: Suggestions for More Woodworking Recipes

Post by Oracle »

This isn't a suggestion for a new recipe per so... ACTUALLY what about being able to craft wooden masks? I imagine you'd need a plank or something to carve that bad boy. Maybe a skein to tie it on...

That wasn't what I came here to suggest, though.

Would it be at all possible to add a line to a ROD that you can make with woodworking that, on examination, dumb under-caffeinated people like myself would get the information of, "Hey dummy if you attach a spinning reel to this and some tiny rings and some fishing line, you'd have yourself here a fishing rod," or something?

This suggestion brought to you by a very confused person who had no idea how to make a fishing rod until some very nice people on the question channel explained all the components.

EDIT: Just kidding. I drank more coffee. Better idea. What if that information is added to the recipe info for making a rod? Because I don't want to admit how long I sat there pondering the conundrum if that was supposed to be a fishing rod or some other sort of rod.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

This is pretty much the same for a lot of the crafting skills, by nature of the individual crafting pieces (i.e. you don't forge a poleaxe, for instance, you forge the head then attach to the haft).

It'd be nice if there was a recipe list for completed projects that showed the components- in the interim, you can always figure out the required pieces to make something by just going and ordering one from the market. There may be some confusion, though, since it seems storebought variants don't have the conponents listed.
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

Squeak wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm This is pretty much the same for a lot of the crafting skills, by nature of the individual crafting pieces (i.e. you don't forge a poleaxe, for instance, you forge the head then attach to the haft).

It'd be nice if there was a recipe list for completed projects that showed the components- in the interim, you can always figure out the required pieces to make something by just going and ordering one from the market. There may be some confusion, though, since it seems storebought variants don't have the conponents listed.
My main confusion, though, was that I didn't even know if it was possible to make a fishing rod! Because in the woodworking recipes there is a ROD but no indication that that is, in fact, a component in making a finished fishing rod. I don't know if I'm making much sense in illustrating where the confusion originated, but my thought process was, "Oh, hey, I wonder if you can make a fishing pole?" I looked at the recipe list. I saw a ROD and a POLE, but no fishing pole. I made a rod and then examined it, couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be used for. And then went to the market and searched for rod and saw that there were rods and fishing rods. And then I asked on question if it was not possible to make a fishing rod. I had no idea if the rods were crafted or picked up elsewhere in the world and resold to the market.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

No, no, I understand it completely. It's the same for forging and is a headache.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Oracle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm
Squeak wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm This is pretty much the same for a lot of the crafting skills, by nature of the individual crafting pieces (i.e. you don't forge a poleaxe, for instance, you forge the head then attach to the haft).

My main confusion, though, was that I didn't even know if it was possible to make a fishing rod! Because in the woodworking recipes there is a ROD but no indication that that is, in fact, a component in making a finished fishing rod. I don't know if I'm making much sense in illustrating where the confusion originated, but my thought process was, "Oh, hey, I wonder if you can make a fishing pole?" I looked at the recipe list. I saw a ROD and a POLE, but no fishing pole. I made a rod and then examined it, couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be used for. And then went to the market and searched for rod and saw that there were rods and fishing rods. And then I asked on question if it was not possible to make a fishing rod. I had no idea if the rods were crafted or picked up elsewhere in the world and resold to the market.
Some game-side way to glean that information would be really neat and useful for a lot of people, I think. But in the interim, a good way to work around the lack of is if you use EXAMINE on an item (or, like Squeak said, order it from the market) you get a listing of the components that go into an item. That's fully how I was able to answer you on question - I examined a fishing rod!

You're absolutely making sense, I think! It's just a function of how the crafting system works here, at the moment (making components and attaching them together, versus something less granular), but I do 100% grok the confusion :)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

Sheaths, for daggers/knives. From a small plank instead of the medium required for a scabbard. Probably just the sort that can be fixed to a belt rather than anything fancy like on the thigh or wrist or whatever.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Was just going through the Giganti helpfile, and figured it would be good to post up a relevant suggestion. Quoting a bit.
Individuals of specific positions or professions often wear a garment or accessory to indicate it:
Krigmester (warchief): An armband on the right bicep indicative of his clan. Material can vary depending on the wealth and resources of the clan.
Warriors: An armband on the left forearm indicative of his clan. Material can vary depending on the wealth and resources of the clan.
Andhoytallr (communes with primal forces of Nature): A wooden band on the right index finger.
Plus others which are not wood.

Anyway, I find all this very interesting, and think it could be neat if some of those items, or more generalised versions thereof, could be craftable. They can be used for other purposes, of course, but might also serve to create opportunities for race-related RP, which is always fun to observe.

Edit after some food: I'm just realising this was all essentially suggested in the first post, along with other amazing ideas, but... here are more reasons why those things would be awesome to have!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.