too far away

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
sapphire

too far away

Post by sapphire »

I get that Mistral is on one end and Shadgard on the other, but I feel like it just divides the playerbase. Sure there are places in the middle, and citizens of both towns do travel, but it's just frustrating. I personally hate how far it is, and how I can't remember all the twists and turns of each pass. This ends up leaving me one to not go to Mistral much. It's sad because I then miss out roleplaying with fun people there too!
I'm curious how others handle this/feel about it?
adresin

Re: too far away

Post by adresin »

I think the sense of distance is intentional.

As for getting back and forth, I use the signs a lot, but that doesn't help with the passes. I'd love to see travel work in those so much. Visually it's probably easier but with screen readers the constant checking directions, moving once, checking again is tiring. Eventually I'll probably set up aliases, but not everyone is great with client things.

Anyway I do think it makes sense from an IC perspective. It would be nice to see the network cover everyone again and actually make use of the town channels, but there may be reasons for that. Not sure.
artus

Post by artus »

I'm fine with directions so I have no problem with it, but it's a long walk that requires getting pass not just two but three mountain passes at once. I remember getting lost far too often between morhollow and valdar fork because i didn't want to go back through valeria but kept ending up there. I don't go to mistral anyway unless I need anything, cookies included.:p
The way is a bit of a slog. The same goes for dwaedn ville anyway. But dwaedn ville is something else. it's like three mountain passes with two rooms roads between each. I'd honestly prefer it a mountain path all the way up instead of path road path road path road.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

I can't say I agree at all. That sense of distance is something I enjoy about the game and... even then, it really only takes a few minutes to traverse the entire map on foot.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the issue here.
artus

Post by artus »

Honestly the only path I had, used to have, problem with was between the two forks between morhollow and Valdar and that's just about it. I can see it being an issue to those who don't travel regularly or who have trouble with landmarks and directions though. But tbh you have two routes to mistral and one is safer than the other. Don't go to Valeria, unless you need anything from there. You end up at morhollow fork all the same but with less hassel and only need one northwest to get to the last pass. Also signs do help. I just don't know why we have like 5 something rooms for a straight path through the fort, but that again is no big deal.
It's still a bit of a slog though with long three non road paths for each route, but I overall find it less of a slog compared to a shorter but more road path road path way to dwaedn ville.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

sapphire wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:26 pm I get that Mistral is on one end and Shadgard on the other, but I feel like it just divides the playerbase. Sure there are places in the middle, and citizens of both towns do travel, but it's just frustrating. I personally hate how far it is, and how I can't remember all the twists and turns of each pass. This ends up leaving me one to not go to Mistral much. It's sad because I then miss out roleplaying with fun people there too!
I'm curious how others handle this/feel about it?
I'm not sure if this would help the issue, but Rias did create the Custom Waypoint (viewtopic.php?p=8777#p8777) allowing one to make custom points that work just like the road intersections. I don't know if that would help out the getting lost issue with the twists and turns and what have you - I've never used the system, myself - but it might!

As to the distances between the two places, I'd imagine it's by intention. With a horse, or even a mule, it's not an unbearable trip - I used to make it half dozen times a night (or more!) - on foot I'd imagine it's a little worse. Compared to some games I've played that are far larger than COGG, it's downright next door comparatively. At least there's no ferries you have to wait for to get from one side of the lands to the other! One game I played you actually had to row a canoe for twenty minutes or so just to get from one island to another. From a personal viewpoint, I believe the distances are satisfactory; Not close enough to *easily* get to, but neither are they far enough away to pose a huge delay getting from one to the other.

I'd like to add, though, that it would be nice to have one of the Middling Townships (Blackwater upon it's revival, maybe?) that gives a fleshed out, fully functional (I.e. Taverns, rooms, baths, et cetera) that might not be as nice as either Shadgard or Mistral, but still provides a decent amount of the usual amenities for people to gather in. That way people have a mid-way point to meet and greet, but not lose out on mechanical tasks and experience whilst waiting for roleplay to roll past.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

I have no issues traveling the roads with auto travel, and that isn't a problem. However, all of the passes are so twisty and turny and that is the part that drives me nuts. As Adresin said above not all of us know how to alias or script that kind of thing.
It looks like the waypoints wouldn't help me with the passes, so great thought though.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Volinn wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:22 pm I can't say I agree at all. That sense of distance is something I enjoy about the game and... even then, it really only takes a few minutes to traverse the entire map on foot.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the issue here.
I agree with this sentiment, personally. It's a pretty quick trip between the two cities, and I like the fact that there's some appreciable distance between the two. If the two places were any closer (and, frankly, if the pendant networks overlapped entirely), there really wouldn't have been a good reason to even have Mistral as a habitable option going forward, in my opinion.

The distance, and the lack of amenities, between the two major outposts/cities of the Lost Lands that we have access to feel like they make the game feel more thematic, and I feel like something would be lost from the setting if it was altered to be closer together, or more convenient to live outside of those major outposts.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
merin

Post by merin »

For VIPMud users:
#alias quickexits {#if {not %defined(quickexits) or @quickexits = 0} {@quickexits = 1;#class quickexits enable;#say {Exits will now be read imedietly.}} {@quickexits = 0;#class quickexits disable;#say {Exits will be read as normal}}}
#trigger {Obvious exits: *.} {#setspeech voiceonly stop;#say {%1} voiceonly} quickexits
#trigger {Obvious paths: *.} {#setspeech voiceonly stop;#say {%1} voiceonly} quickexits

With this toggled, every time you move you will hear the exits and nothing else. Use at your own risk. Happy no longer having to hear room titles, or descriptions, or conditions, or audio levels, or people, or objects, in the room as you walk on bye! To be clear, this will not gag the room text, it just skips it.