New leather craft idea

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Kentark

New leather craft idea

Post by Kentark »

As a relatively new player who came to this game because of the focus on crafting, I'm having a great time, with shockingly good RP to boot. But I'm finding that skein availability is...iffy. At certain times of day there are hundreds of skeins on the market, and then a few hours later they've all disappeared. I don't know if this is the normal state of things, or if the local economy is just having a moment of high demand.

But given that skeins are produced by time-gated methods (growing plants or animal coats) that take a decent quantity of resources to start producing at any meaningful volume, and that hand-woven cordage is clearly not intended for regular use, I wonder if leather cord might be a nice thing to add to the game.

I think it would be best implemented with limited uses - mostly that it can replace skeins of other materials in things like leather goods, armor, and rope. But I can't see using it to sew a quilt or mittens, and I don't imagine you could weave or knit a fabric from leather cord that's usable in the same ways as a cotton or rimeveil cloth. Depending on how you want to tune the balance of resources/time/effort/production, it could be that multiple cords must be braided together in order to make a usable coil.

Just a thought! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯