Changing Views on Faction migration?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Spidercat

Changing Views on Faction migration?

Post by Spidercat »

This is one thing I've been mulling over since the shift out of a CVC focus. And this was one thing that was a hard no during that time. However, we already ahve seen the lifting of the account faction restriction for character creation, which has allowed people to just generate a character to try out the other location for a change. But back during the CVC times, people were restricted. to making all characters in one of the two cities. The citizenship might not mesh with the character concept, but restrictions prevented them from creating in the other location.

however, with hostilities calming down and that change being implemented, some characters do feel out of place, and only registered due to the prior rules. As well, I personally see a few people that somewhat regret their faction choice, and look like they' fully move if they could now that they wouldn't have two active characters from different locations. It's just taht there is no system to actually do so.

I am wondering if views on this should change, especially since there's now an effort for mistral to try to setup better relations with all their neighbors, and what restrictions should be there if one was doing it? Personally, migrating over should result in being unable to ever reregister to the old faction entirely. And regarding transferring things like animals? For it to not be allowed, or come with a pricey cost to move them. Like how people moved before, personal possessions would have to be handled by the players themselves, so oppertunities for people to be hired for a moving caravan.

I know there's always the option of just making a new character. However, people are attached to their current characters, and may already have their decided on concept be involved in things with other playe characters. Having to redo the character again just to be able to swap citizenships for homes/farming locations is a bit of a high ask for some people. And sunset points can only really help regain levels for a character, and not the relationships they had before.

Anyway, people's thoughts?
Tessa

Re: Changing Views on Faction migration?

Post by Tessa »

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment here. My rogue character was registered to Mistral simply for the reason of the faction divide. With that no longer in place, I'd like to see some in character way of handling citizenship transfers. I like the ideas provided above; I understand that we can email and special cases will be granted, but I do not know what is defined as a special case and emailing about it feels very OOC. Thanks for the post.
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'm bumping this because I think it's important.

I'm not sure I can add anything in particular to what has been said, but I'd like to see more people's thoughts.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
artus

Post by artus »

Personally, having played shadgardians on both chars, I have nothing to add.

But not so personally, I have heard from someone who's currently on a brake about moving his char there because the dominion fit his char's ic world view. Now that it's gone, his last extensive talk with me saw him a bit lost, like there's no dominion and that world view anymore in the town and he had no idea how to rp his char forward when he got back. While I did suggest a pro dominion rp if he wanted to, here's seconding Spidercat's idea of giving yet another faction shift, majorly or otherwise. Some people move because of the dominion, not mistral. With them gone, sometimes it's hard to place where they are.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Just also throwing in my thanks for the creation of this thread. I forever remain a Shadgardian, but believe this restriction is no longer necessary with the shift away from faction CVC.

As for the particulars of moving, maybe allow for it once every few years, or only once per character, as a few people have already suggested.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.