Upcoming: Ability Trees, Skill (un)Caps, and Challenge-Based Skill Practice

For discussion about game mechanics in general.
Rias
DEV

Re: Upcoming: Ability Trees, Skill (un)Caps, and Challenge-Based Skill Practice

Post by Rias »

Before I get to individual responses, I want to thank everyone for their feedback. There's a lot of potential for shake-up in these proposed changes, which is why I'm trying to remain communicative about them and why we plan to have some of the bigger stuff tested on a test server before pushing it live. The uncapped stuff may or may not pan out, as it's a radical change from what we know now. The addition of more challenge-based practice and abilities structures in "trees" with more gates are less so, and are already firmly in the plans (the former already being applied as it's worked on) though as with all things are still subject to tweaks and updates as feedback comes in.

There has been a good deal of talk about grind (much of it in chat channels; thank you to the folks who have given me some summaries, though I encourage people with strong thoughts to post in this thread to make sure the thoughts are heard). There have been some particular worries of potential very low gain rates. Making progress excruciating isn't a part of the plan, and when I said "like it was in CLOK" I meant the complete-skill-by-use mechanic, not the progression rates from that game. I know some of that was really bad. I also know some of the methods of gaining were bad. I know dodge and shield training as current are pretty bad in fact, having dedicated some time to experiencing it lately and getting feedback from players about it. We'll be making tweaks to those, as the point wasn't to make them painful to increase, but rather to avoid situations like 600-skill characters routinely training against 0-skill mobs. We want the game to remain fun, and while the progression process (the grind) is part of the intended feel of the game, we want it to be balanced so that it feels more satisfying than frustrating. It's a hard line to determine but we'll always be chasing it and willing to make tweaks.

I also want to emphasize that there is no intention to accommodate "do-everything characters". This seems to be another common concern and rightly so - we're concerned about it too - but with limited ability point gating we're confident it won't be an issue. And if testing shows that it doesn't fix the issue, we'll work on that or deem the plan to be non-viable.

Another common concern appears to be infinite progression, which I will admit there is technically potential for if we could somehow provide infinite content additions ... which is not something that could happen, even if we wanted to, which we don't. The idea isn't to provide infinite skill progress and an endless grind, but rather to always have the opening for new higher-challenge content if we want to add some. So, uncapped skills in this context doesn't mean they can just be infinitely ground up to an infinite number. There will be caps to how high a skill can go based on content released in the game. If there are only (common) mobs of skill up to 800, then the combat skill cap is 800. If there are only woodworking recipes available up to a challenge rating of 900, then the woodworking cap is 900. And if the numbers ever do get real high to the point that the grind from start to end feels too tedious and the old-vs-new skill gap overly difficult to surmount, we can toss in a little multiplier to speed it up.
nobody wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:00 pm What do the skill numbers mean in terms of our characters' place in the world? ... more an understanding of how might experts around the world (or even elsewhere in the Lost Lands) view my character and what they can do.
This is a tough one, because different skills can be viewed at different scales. I don't think there will ever be a satisfactory global conversion rate.

I do want to caution PCs from thinking that a 700 skill (or whatever the cap may be at the time - 400 for crafting skills, for instance) means they're Olympian-tier or world-class. I know it can be a blow to the fantasy of a character being the best at something, but also keep in mind that your fellow player characters can get to the same skill levels as you can. Unlike D&D campaigns, this isn't a setting where characters level and skill up to the point that they're essentially gods (or god-killers) because that's some pretty setting-breaking stuff. PCs are meant to be just more people in the Lost Lands. 700 skill would mean one is in the higher tiers for sure, but by no means the best in the world or even the region. There are town guards with 700 Melee skill. There are little old frontier tailors with 700 tailoring skill. It's impressive and it's indicative of both talent and skill, but it's not peerless. And there are some NPCs that go beyond the typical skill caps. Rig-Jarl Bjorn of the Dwaedn Wyr comes to mind, and there aren't plans for his skill levels to be attained by PCs (or his position usurped by a PC).
artus wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:16 pm if we have content cap, what are we going to do with skills for something like farming or animal husbandry that we need for a certain threshold to unlock this certain amount of land etc?
This system probably needs its own re-think, honestly. Farms can get to some pretty excessive levels. I'd rather reign things in and make smaller amounts feel more meaningful, granting better yields from more skill rather than more land from more skill.
artus wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:16 pm people using surround mechanics to lower their dodge chance 6 times under using 6 infested to surround them, or breaking an arm and both legs to dodge?
In COGG, this affects your rerolls rather than your maximum roll number, so it won't be possible to "game" challenge-based skillgains with these methods. A character with a dodge of 600 can go and break their legs and lie down and their dodge is still going to be 600, just with a ton of negative rerolls. That means the number the skillgain challenge is based off of isn't changing, hence there's no benefit in intentionally penalizing oneself in the pursuit of gains. (There are a few effects that do affect max rolls rather than rerolls - we're thinking about what to do with these. Partial rerolls rather than changing the max roll is the current leaning.)
Various alternative ideas to the uncapped skill idea
These would leave me back in the Constrained Development Box, so they may be avenues worth considering if the current plans don't work out, but they're not my first priority as they don't address one of the primary issues I'm facing.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Now I like the cap by current content vibe this one gives. Is it something like let's say now the highest combat zone is 700 something so the cap is 700. You can't go to 701 until something else is added that's higher than 700 and you can use that to go to 701 and so on and so on and there may even be something else added in between any of those 700 for you to explore? If it's something close to that then this'll be less of a pain to think of and pretty much eliminates my worry when it comes to grindfesters grinding all day long to god level, because it's more game based rather than you based. I don't oppose it at all. I like it. If this is where the game is heading then never mind my alternative ideas. I'm pretty sure this one got a good potential to address most of that already.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

I wonder how the coward abilities will be affected by this. I suppose that will depend upon the methods of training we are going to have, but with the skill point total restriction lifted, I don't know if those will change.

On a more personal note, I've always struggled a bit with creating the exact character I've got in mind that fits my rogue template. I've never cared much about artifice but wanted to get stealth closer to cap than treasure hunters do, but love all the locksmithing stuff they've got! Therefore, I'm hoping to break the current template a bit by shoving artifice abilities to the side in favour of locksmithing/perception, if the new system will allow it. Sorry for the rambling but it's good to finally put this on virtual paper.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Teri

Post by Teri »

I've admittedly skimmed this while mostly a zombie, but if ability trees don't feel like they limit what skill directions people go enough, an idea I contemplated was a limit of how many skills can go up to cap. Arbitrary core choice number of skills that can hit that max, 5, 7, or whatever. I'd not mind more skill points with locksmithing sponging a good chunk I'd like to put elsewhere. Or maybe a couple guild ones can go upwards to ceiling and some non guild skills in addition. I do also wonder about how the cowardice abilities would be handled with combat caps being potentially higher. I don't currently use them while dodge doesn't apply to combat abilities like tackle etc and rather use parry gained by higher melee.
Edited to add, I was thinking player choice with that arbitary number- these are my 7 keystone abilities to match content, the rest are guild caps or whatever hybrid etc.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Maina

Post by Maina »

Rias wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:59 am This system probably needs its own re-think, honestly. Farms can get to some pretty excessive levels. I'd rather reign things in and make smaller amounts feel more meaningful, granting better yields from more skill rather than more land from more skill.
Have to say I love the idea of farms being less sprawling but more productive with skill.

Having begun playing with the farming system in earnest of late, the idea of smaller farms but bigger yields sounds amazing to me.

It might also be nice to split plot size from building size (so one doesn't lessen the other) but have farming raise plots while animal husbandry increases build space? But have them both increase by less than they do now and give more yield instead.

Or even just start with more space than one presently starts with and have farms be a fixed size and have progression be purely in yield?

I guess this is a little off-topic, but the idea genuinely excites me. I have found the current system fairly impenetrable and a lot of work for something I've often heard called "passive income."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Will there still be abilities like the coward line that are gated behind having a maximum of a skill? How will that work in this new system? Will it strictly gate that skill's cap?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Wondering as well on language-related skills. I know they're not fully developed, and the intent is not to magically make everyone a polyglot, but I've got a few nerds in my roster of characters who are interested in picking one up.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Something I've been stewing on and curious about, with (most) skills getting uncapped and the skill-point total restriction going away: do you envision there being a benefit to training/focusing on ONLY Dodge or Shield Use (or some kind of cost to training both up equally), or is the intention that characters will be able to max any/all defensive skills and just use the best as situations (or combat defense preferences) demand?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I'm super excited about the following:
Getting rid of x amount of points per level. I really dislike this system. I like to plan, but I also need wiggle room. This rarely gives me any.
Psychology! Alchemy! Yes! Seriously, I can't wait.

Sad about:
No more arcanists who can do all four elements and forturgy? If that's the case, I'll be very sad. I've been training up an arcanist, and I want to get a chance to play with combining elements.
It's possible I misread this part.

I don't like having skills for each particular weapon, though in a way it doesn't make sense that someone who's good with swords would be lethal with a hafted weapon. I can see both sides.

Huge concern:
Gaps between newer and older players. Gaps between those who are heavy grinders and those who just aren't.
One thing I've loved here has been that levels feel attainable, not out of reach. Same with raising skills.
That said, learn by doing is the way it would be in real-life, so, in that one area, why not have that hold true?

I have concerns, things i'm really, really looking forward to, and things that are in the middle.
Any ideas on when any of this will be implemented? What will happen with farms? farm-related skills? plots?
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

One of my concerns is one I currently have so the new system won't change it much. I would like to train up dodge, because my character is a physicker, and there are times this may be super valuable. My character doesn't like combat. This is honestly a me thing, I just don't like combat. So I'm struggling with how to train this without making my character super uncomfortable, but have her ready for the day when she'll have no choice but to dash into the combat zone to help heal or rescue people.