SHAOL QoL

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

SHAOL QoL

Post by nobody »

I wanted to post this to the bbs as follow-up from the voice chat so it doesn't get lost. Currently the shaol glyph, if placed on a backpack, will fall to the ground when the backpack is full, probably because the weight of the bag counts against the weight capacity. I had requested just quietly adjusting the weight limit to 55 pounds to remove that issue. I then realized that higher quality backpacks will have higher weight limits (52 at +1, 55 at +2, and 57 at +3), and that's a bit of a slippery slope, because what if some variety of artisan can get a bag specialization ability that lets them make backpacks with a capacity of 60? And then higher quality backpacks from those crafters would also go up from there. So, below are some other ideas:
  • Increase the current capacity to 55 points, leave the description as is (55 is about 50), the problem will pop back up when better-than-fine backpacks become available, but responsible arcanists will discourage their use, as they discourage using crates now.
  • Remove the post-cast weight checking and blacklist all containers with a capacity above 50. This has the advantage that attempting to levitate a crate will simply fail, and I'm ok with that because it is a bad idea given the capacity limitations of the glyph.
  • Scale the weight capacity with arcana skill, allow high skill users (500+) to be in the 55 pound neighborhood. I like this one because it gives people a reason to seek out skilled arcanists, and gives arcanists a reason to become skilled.
  • Remove weight capacity restrictions and make high weight levitation dangerous by having amounts in excess of 50 pounds ramp up the energy cost until energy regeneration is negative. I dislike this one because it can be easy to ignore big red flags like I'm losing energy twice when I travel between wilderness rooms, and people will spontaneously drop dead on occasion. I like that it makes arcana overtly dangerous to use carelessly.
Teri

Re: SHAOL QoL

Post by Teri »

I think the more skilled are able to float heavier sounds very appealing (Does the same count for physicker therapies, where more skilled the reflection lasts longer? It felt like it)
I'd absolutely love the fine backpack being floated. If weight limits were lifted, maybe a warning of some kind when overloading a kind of "you don't have the energy to sustain this much weight" where if you overload it with items then you started losing energy instead of it just dropping onto the ground with no warning. I'd likely still ignore the warning, but maybe it could be like tasks where if you hit 100 energy you stop moving. Could be interesting for someone with constitution.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time