For Loop Glyph

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Navi

For Loop Glyph

Post by Navi »

I know there have been more than a few effect glyphs suggested. However, I was thinking about how glyphs work and had an idea for a new activation glyph.

If you're familiar with basic coding statements. If statements, while loops, for loops, etc, then this will likely make some sense to you. Otherwise, I'll do my best to explain it. essentially a for loop is a statement that executes code a number of times repeatedly before continuing on with the rest of the code. For example, some pseudo code:

for (x=0; x<=4; x++)
{
//Give me 1 riln;
}

In this example, the statement "for (x=0; x<=4; x++)" Sets a variable called x to a value of 0, and while x is less than or equal to 4, it will execute the code within the brackets, and each time it does so, it increases the value of x by 1. So after this statement runs 5 times, that is to say, after x equals 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, a total of five different iterations, you would be given 5 riln.

Hopefully that makes sense. Now for the idea for a glyph. It would be a spin on the beldi glyph. All this glyph would do is take the beldi glyph and cause it to execute the effect glyph in the circle a set number of times after the parameters of the glyph are met. In this case, since it's based off of the beldi glyph, each time a soul enters the circle.

For this post I'll call this extended beldi glyph, beldicounter. The construction of the glyph and the effect would go something like the following.

draw occult small circle
Using some anomalum chalk, you draw a small gray occult circle on the ground.
You feel something drawing at your will and energy as you draw the glyphs of occult power ...
draw occult line
Using some anomalum chalk, you add the `line` shape to the small gray occult circle drawn on the ground.
You feel something drawing at your will and energy as you draw the glyphs of occult power ...
draw occult beldicounter
Using some anomalum chalk, you add the `beldicounter` glyph to the small gray occult circle drawn on the ground.
Using some anomalum chalk, you draw another `beldicounter` glyph atop the `beldicounter` in the small gray occult circle drawn on the ground.
Using some anomalum chalk, you draw another `beldicounter` glyph atop the `beldicounter` in the small gray occult circle drawn on the ground.
draw occult distyr
Using some anomalum chalk, you add the `distyr` glyph to the small gray occult circle drawn on the ground.
l circle
You take a closer look at a small gray occult circle in the area ...
A small gray circle is drawn here, a series of repeating glyphs along its inner circumference. There's enough space for a single person to stand within it.
It has the line shape drawn within it, separating it into 2 significant equal parts.
It has the following glyphs drawn within it:
`beldicounter` (3)
`distyr`

After this is done, each time someone enters the circle, the beldicounter glyphs will flash, one will disappear, and the effect will activate. Once there are no more beldicounter glyphs the whole circle disappears.

This glyph will allow an arcanist to utilize the circle and effect itself multiple times. Each time a beldicounter glyph is drawn, the cost in energy should become more exponential. Not only does this prevent circles with effects that can be triggered dozens of times, but it will also leave open the potential for more cost effective circles and activator glyphs meant for entire groups later on.

Given the advance nature of this glyph, it should probably take up two slots, or a total of 6 arcane mental capacity. Someone who is not specialized in the arcane would therefor be able to pick up the basic distyr glyph along with one other glyph if they chose to learn this glyph, whereas an arcanist could pick them all up.

I hope this was all easy to understand, and even if it doesn't get put in, I hope it sparks some more ideas down the road! Thanks for reading!
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again