New tavern food ideas

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Talyn

New tavern food ideas

Post by Talyn »

So someone mentioned other Tavern's not having food and it does seem a bit bland only having drinks there. I was trying to sit and think of some creative foods that might have players wanting to hang out in other locations for food sometimes when they're not just shoveling down baked bread or turnovers. I tried to go with what I felt the taverns aesthetics were and if you agree or disagree that's fine! Please feel free to add more meal ideas so Rias or other GM's can bounce off them.

Hearth and Home: They're homey, bed and breakfast kind of ordeal. Flapjakes, the stew is good. Can't think of anything for the Hearth and Home Sadly. Flapjacks all the way.

Hanged Man Inn: I felt a very hearty meaty meals would suit the Hanged man, they're for the time being home to the Adventurer's guild I feel those staying there would bring back their kills for the kitchen.
Peasant Pie - with carrots, parsnips, turnips, mushrooms, bacon, and ground pork (Could use Tarruk) wrapped in a delicious buttermilk pie crust.
Smoked Venison/elk Sausages (There's a lot of deer out in the canyon)

The Laughing Salamander(New Emberlight): They literally live off the water so more of a Seafood menu was my thoughts. Kind of cliché but it was fun to play with.
Fish and Chips - a little pricey due to having to purchase fresh fish. There's no refrigeration in this time.
New Emberlight Clam Chowder - Soothing and creamy
Fisherman's Stew - spicy, potatoes and fish, something good for the stomach.

The Notched Bit (Blackwater Logging Camp): This one was another tough one. I really enjoy the Dominion though I know very little about them. The biggest thing that caught my attention was how expensive their Chardonnay is, a very great wine and I went you know what would be fun. The Dominion like their sweets and fruity flavors. Kind of like join the darkside we have cookies. I also though maybe doing woodsy meals such as the gravy since it is still a logging camp
Dominion Honey Cake (I just like the idea of a spooky Dominion run area with the more fruity/sweet flavored foods)
Baked apples
Sawmill gravy - Gravy mixed with sausage and hashed potatoes.

Tiodor's Bar: I know his bar is meant more for drinking then food but there are a lot of of who love this location. Maybe he cooks up a few things. Mostly quick and easy finger food was my thoughts. I tried to think of something revolving around the spirits but lost my train of thought.
Spicy shredded Tarruk and flat bread: I kind of think the Liberi a little like pirates, plus they live on the dangerous side which is why I thought to go spicy. I would have put rice instead of the flatbread but I'm not sure if rice is native or grown around here.
Fried Xicamatl - If this is like Jimaca fried jimaca is way better then potato fries in my opinion and with them being found mostly around near New Emberlight and I -think- near Valeria I thought it would be cool to have them.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Marcuson

Re: New tavern food ideas

Post by Marcuson »

Here are some general ideas for new tavern food:
  • Baked beans! Beans and pieces of pork cooked in a tangy and sweet sauce. (Also, implement some cultivar of beans as a plantable crop. Beanpots could also be interesting cookware for potters.)
  • Shrimp and grits. Steamed peeled shrimp served atop a bowl of buttery, savory grits. This dish would fit New Emberlight. Shrimp are, of course, pulled up from Lostsoul Bay, and grits are made from coarsely ground dried hominy - corn (i.e., maize) that has been nixtamalized.
  • Cheese grits. Shredded cheese mixed in with a bowl of buttery, savory grits. This is more fitting for Shadgard, where cows and goats are more common and cheese would be locally available.
  • Beans and cornbread. Soft, boiled beans simmered with salt pork and served alongside a generous slice of buttered yellow cornbread. Simple country fare.
  • Barbecued beef and coleslaw. Generous portions of seasoned beef ribs accompanied by cool and crunchy cabbage that's been dressed with vinegar and herbs.
  • Corned beef and cabbage. Spiced, salt-cured beef served alongside boiled cabbage.
  • Fried chicken. Pieces of chicken dipped in batter and fried in hot fat until golden-brown, crunchy, and succulent. The batter's rumored to have a secret blend of herbs and spices.
  • Smoked sausage hash. Chopped up pieces of salt-cured smoked sausage that have been browned in a skillet along with similar-sized pieces of potato, onions, and other vegetables. It's been topped with a poached egg.