Tree felling and regrowth

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Xandrea

Tree felling and regrowth

Post by Xandrea »

So I've been informed that saplings have started to pop up. Far as I was awares this wasn't implemented last time I was in the know. I still have an idea regarding this though! We have stumps we can up-end but, what if we could turn the stump removal into a Primalist task? Where they extract a tree knot and use their influence to turn it into a seed of life.

This would give a reactive roll to Primalists for tree fellers. More felled trees means more regrowth tasks. No felled trees means no regrowth tasks. This would give us a somewhat intangible idea of how aggressive the woodcutting business is based on the frequency of the task and since this is a stump that can be anywhere in the wilderness the best guess the task can give us is a region.

[Primalist: Regrowth] (500 experience, 2 Druidry) Rangers have informed us that a tree(s) have been harvested in Lyrndermal Hills. Find a stump and "propagate" it into a sapling to grow a new one in it's place.

Considering the world will only get bigger the xp/druidry might scale to how far away or how potentially dangerous a region is to complete the task. It should probably have a two bell cooldown or so but, I'm no award winning game balancer.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?
Firerose

Re: Tree felling and regrowth

Post by Firerose »

I love this! It's that much more detailed than I thought it would be!
Maybe rangers and berserkers could do this, but I'm definitely leaning toward it being a primalist ability.
Zombilicious

Post by Zombilicious »

I'm not sure that a thing that allows for "lots of tasks to be done in one period for influence and riln" is healthy for the economy. I agree that Primalists need more to do, but it eliminates the vast RP we've had with Stump Removal Parties if a Primalist can just go out and coax a stump out of the ground. Druidry doesn't really seem meant to work that way, either -- even growth just imbues YOUR life essence into the earth, and vitality takes the essence from the earth, nothing actually manipulates the earth in a manner like this.

That said, stump removal is tiring and you tend to need lots of people, which leads to some fun scenes. Maybe giving a Primalist (or other Druids) an ability that buffs their usefulness against plants might be beneficial. Like an occult erosion type of thing that weakens the roots and empowers them.
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I really like the general idea of tasks to help new growth in areas that have had some of the previous growth removed, or where the new growth is present but still in early stages and could use some help getting along.

As Zombilicious mentioned though, I prefer to keep stump removal to a group effort. That was a big part of the appeal of setting it up - it's something you set up a date and time for and get everyone together for as a big team effort. (This is also why a single player character can't bring multiple horses over and remove the stump with just themselves and their horses.) So while there could be a task to deal with areas that have seen recent felling, the tasker would still want to get a group together if there was a stump to be removed.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I didn't read Xandria's post as taking away from these activities. I read it as something that could be done with the stump after it was lifted from the ground.
i like the idea of having some sort of buff for the druid (and group) when heaving the stump out of the earth.
I agree that group events are preferable, and I like that they happen with this activity. I'm glad stumps need to be removed to make room for new trees, and that it's not just where a tree is felled, and another one grows in its place.
I do, however, like the idea of planting new trees, or helping them to grow somehow.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Are the saplings growing? I've heard that there was an issue with their growth, and the saplings along Timberpine Trail especially, which are the oldest ones, don't seem to be advancing in growth.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Marcuson wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 am Are the saplings growing? I've heard that there was an issue with their growth, and the saplings along Timberpine Trail especially, which are the oldest ones, don't seem to be advancing in growth.
They are now! I just squashed that bug, thanks for the reminder. And any previous growth time preceding this bugfix has been retroactively applied, so there are lots of tall trees out there where once were only saplings.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Post by Teri »

I'm going to personally imagine a druid went through boosting the saplings with a passion while no one was watching.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."