Skill Caps & Redundant Skills

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Karjus

Skill Caps & Redundant Skills

Post by Karjus »

Hi,

So trying to complete the current skill caps table, and wanting to include some information for new players about skills that are being scrapped/considered being scrapped, and also have questions about redundant skill caps for some Specializations.

Skills
1) Brewing and Cooking, do you still think they'll be combined into one skill?
2) What are your thoughts on Lapidary, and Metalworking?
3) How about Mining, and Metallury?
4) Will Acrobatics, Artifice, Dancing, and Music ever become available to everyone?
5) Will Medical ever be expanded for non-Physickers, or is it going to be a "class skill"?

Skill Caps
Is it intentional for some specializations to offer lower caps than their Guild? I'm told you can just go to the general Guild trainer and avoid them. This seems a little redundant. I'd say either reduce the general Guild trainer so the class cap means something, or remove the information from the class cap files. Mostly seems to be the Warrior's Guild.

Examples

Warrior: General Trainer offers Armor Use (700) and Ranged Combat (700)
1) Berserker: Armor Use (600), Ranged Combat (600)
2) Duelist: Armor Use (500), Ranged Combat (600)
3) Marauder: Armor Use (600), Ranged Combat (600)
4) Nightblade: Armor Use (500)

Adventurer's currently have access to 500 Riding. For some reason, that seems like a bug, as I could have sworn the cap was reduced to 400 skill across the board?

...and I think that's it for now!
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
nobody

Re: Skill Caps & Redundant Skills

Post by nobody »

I was thinking about that yesterday as I cleaned up the post for caps by class. I see three things potentially going on:
  • Some redundant info is silly, like giving adventurers a shield use cap of 400 is redundant with the town barracks, though it also means they have the opportunity to train it at their guild HQ (which will matter more when it isn't a half-dozen or so rooms from Shadgard's barracks) rather then treking back to town if they want to.
  • Some redundant into is part dev trap and part dev tool. If treasure hunter stealth needed a nerf, they'd need to have their own limit lowered from 500 and the guild limit also lowered from 500 (dev trap). But if Bards needed to be nerfed to be less sneaky, only the guild limit would need to be lowered and Treasure Hunters with their class cap identical to the guild cap would be unaffected (dev tool).
  • But mostly I think the skill caps communicate information about the class. Treasure Hunter has 500 stealth as a class skill cap while Bard has 500 stealth as a guild skill cap. They both have access to the same level of stealth, but when you look at Bard and don't see stealth it communicates an important idea. They're about show! (Though maybe I'm just reading too much into an oversight, I'll give Rias the benefit of the doubt here :wink:). The other example I'll point out is warriors, as you also pointed out. Dreadnought class ranged cap: 0, Berserker class ranged cap: 600. Even though they can both just train ranged to 700 at the guild training area, it communicates that Dreadnoughts are not expected to get a bow or hurl their weapon, but it's intended to be viable for Berserkers to do so. It's information AND flexibility. Again, I might just be reading into it too much, but my hot take has now been shared.
Heron

Re: Skill Caps & Redundant Skills

Post by Heron »

I don't know about that. It kind of bothers me that nightblades are the only class listed as having 700 ranged, beating out all the warriors as well as rangers (It's in the name!) when their niche is arguably more 'stealthy assassin' than something like 'ranged long-distance shooting champion.' Even ignoring rangers, duelists and marauders both have similar claim to range as nightblade does, with firearms being on-brand for the former and dirty cheating ranged shenanigans for the latter.

It was a pretty big factor in making me think NBs are over-favored, and I was pretty happy to find out all warriors can hit 700 in range. Considering how expensive 700 is though, I'm not convinced it's worth the expenditure.