Barkcloth

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Avedri

Barkcloth

Post by Avedri »

Let me start off by saying, I know it is supposed to be time-intensive and I am making an RP choice to use barkcloth because I believe it would be an appropriate fit for my character. It just feels too long.

Here’s the breakdown for a dress.

A dress is 10 pieces of cloth.
A piece of cloth is 4 hand-woven cordage.
A cordage is 12 fibers.
You get 1 fiber from 1 strip of cedar bark.

It takes on average 113 seconds to crush one strip.
It takes 480 strips of cedar to finish this project.

113 seconds x 480 = 54,240 seconds = 904 minutes = 15 hours

That doesn’t include the time it takes to forage the cedar bark, weaving or the actual construction of the garment,

Would it be possible for one strip of bark to maybe shed multiple fibers like a piece of wool creates multiple threads of yarn? It also seems that the time for crushing thornleaf is the same.
Lexx416

Re: Barkcloth

Post by Lexx416 »

Avedri wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:28 pm Let me start off by saying, I know it is supposed to be time-intensive and I am making an RP choice to use barkcloth because I believe it would be an appropriate fit for my character. It just feels too long.

Here’s the breakdown for a dress.

A dress is 10 pieces of cloth.
A piece of cloth is 4 hand-woven cordage.
A cordage is 12 fibers.
You get 1 fiber from 1 strip of cedar bark.

It takes on average 113 seconds to crush one strip.
It takes 480 strips of cedar to finish this project.

113 seconds x 480 = 54,240 seconds = 904 minutes = 15 hours

That doesn’t include the time it takes to forage the cedar bark, weaving or the actual construction of the garment,

Would it be possible for one strip of bark to maybe shed multiple fibers like a piece of wool creates multiple threads of yarn? It also seems that the time for crushing thornleaf is the same.
Processing Thornleaf and Sinew are similarly time consuming. On one hand I'm a fan of it taking long enough that people would rather work with other materials (thus encouraging folks to participate in the economy of the game, which I like), but I do think that the crush time of a single thornleaf stalk, length of sinew, or strip of cedar bark could be dropped down by 20-60 seconds (or perhaps grant an efficiency bonus based on Bushcraft, allowing for quicker work) would help towards this.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Whew, thanks for the breakdown. As you said, bushcraft is not meant for speedy or efficient crafting, but it does look like fiber crushing time could stand to be toned down. Multiple fibers per bark forage seems like a good idea (thornleaf will likely remain how it is), and I also like the idea of Bushcraft skill increasing speed/efficiency for those significant skillpoint investors.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: Bushcraft skill now factors into the efficiency of crushing certain plants/bark into fibers, with a skill roll each repetition potentially granting bonus progress.

The more Bushcraft skill one has, the greater the chance to succeed the skill roll and get the bonus, and also the greater that bonus can potentially be.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 pm Per the changelog: Bushcraft skill now factors into the efficiency of crushing certain plants/bark into fibers, with a skill roll each repetition potentially granting bonus progress.

The more Bushcraft skill one has, the greater the chance to succeed the skill roll and get the bonus, and also the greater that bonus can potentially be.
Is it intended to work on sinew as well? I'm crushing sinew in about 50 seconds right now.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yes, it applies to any crushing-into-fibers activity regardless of material, despite the changelog specifying plant/bark. I suppose for once I should have been more vague.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO