The tumble fumble

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Heron

The tumble fumble

Post by Heron »

Tumble's priority should be after a failed defense roll, like cloak parry (but preferably after cloak parry, since cloak parry is better!).

Taking tumble shuts down tactical dodge, which shuts down cloak parry / main gauche, as well as block rolls. It triggers often and has priority over these things, so it severely reduces the odds of them happening.

To raise my block skill, I've come to rely on the old other-game classic of sitting down in front of my enemies so I can't dodge while they try to hit me. While fighting my own combat mobility, which brings me back on my feet, of course.

What this looks like to an onlooker is someone jumping up and sitting back down every time they get attacked by the undead, which is very silly.

Also, flip doesn't seem to do much of anything. The help file is kind of ambiguous, at least. I haven't tried flipping an enemy yet because I'm not sure I want acrobatics.
Gorth

Re: The tumble fumble

Post by Gorth »

I'd like to bring this up to attention again, because I believe that OP is correct. There is already a large issue of getting Duelist Auto Defenses to activate on single targets without the fact that if you play timing well, you very well could go through twenty minutes of fights without one attack actually getting past your Tumble.

I think this is silly. My proposal is thus:
Enemy Attacks against normal Defenses:
  • Attack Misses/is blocked/is parried. Normal autodefenses have the chance to activate, and Tumble doesn't get wasted on attack that could have been negated anyway. Or,
  • Attack hits. Before damage is dealt, the Tumble and Flip chances are rolled, and if they succeed, damage is negated.
This puts Tumble in the same camp as Bladecatch, that is supposed to activate on a chance after attacks bypass normal defenses. It would make it feel more realistic as well; I think it's silly to be tumbling around every seven seconds. It would, however, make Tumble even better. It's already insanely, insanely good. If this were the case, I think perhaps it should be something of a specialization of Duelist. Remove the melee bonus to the roll, increase the Acrobatics bonus a bit, and decrease the Agility bonus a little, so it doesn't just go off every attack. and still, give it chances to fail, because Tumbling around while being attacked sounds really hard, especially if you wear armor and are holding weapons.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Re: The tumble fumble

Post by Rias »

It sounds like it would benefit from the proposed ability toggle, so one can just turn it off if one needs to practice shield use or the like. I don't like the idea of tumble happening after dodge/block/parry, because once you're at dodge/block/parry the attacker is already right there in your face. Tumbling is a preemptive movement out of the way before one gets into that situation, sort of like an early dodge.

If one prefers to go all in on the procs of main-gauche and cloak parry and such, the toggle could be used there as well when not as worried about the extra survival chance that tumble grants in favor of getting more extra damage or disarm procs.

As for duelist Tactical Dodge bonus, that could be added to tumble occurrence easily enough.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO