I'm Watching You!

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Navi

I'm Watching You!

Post by Navi »

Currently stealth ranged attacks are relatively easy to pull off if you time it right. You fire your weapon, the NPC searches, if it spots you just rehide and wait to fire when they fail a search roll. What I'm suggesting is that when a hostile NPC finds you by searching, they automatically start watching you with the watch command. I'm not sure if it makes it harder for the watched to hide, but in the case it does, it'd make it a bit more challenging to keep up with stealthed ranged attacks.
While it won't remove the ability to just leave a room and reenter under stealth, it'd still up the challenge I think since you'd have to make additional stealth checks against the target as well as any wandering NPCs that you run into when retreating out of sight.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Acarin

Re: I'm Watching You!

Post by Acarin »

Perhaps a mechanic to actually trace back shots and spot someone would be warranted at this time so that you can act after being fired upon rather than just getting into an rt dance of hiding/searching that poses no risk to the ranged attacker. Doing so would allow people to actually draw ranged attackers out of hiding and actually introduce risk that does not exist now to ranged. After being fired upon, you have probably already taken 50+ damage due to the massive ambush pushdown with ranged/recent and searching will incur additional rt allowing a second shot (kill shot) or a rehide. In addition, if you do search, the ranged attacker may just run out of the room and fire on you again shortly after since nothing is able to keep them in place and they can't be killed outright now.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Huh, I thought there was already a penalty to hiding right in front of someone, but there wasn't. So I've added one: Hiding directly in front of other characters now gives negative rerolls to the hider vs anyone who could previously see them, making the hider more likely to be seen slipping into their hiding place. Crowds, darkness, and fog will help mitigate this, but it's still always going to be better to hide elsewhere and sneak in rather than slip into a hiding spot right in front of somebody. Applies to re-hiding as well: If someone's aware of your current hiding spot, you get a penalty to escaping their notice when you slip into a different hiding place.

While I was in there I also fixed a bug where critters would not start searching when someone disappeared right in front of them via hiding mechanics.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

While this has a global effect on stealth users, it does not solve the ranged issue and simply motivates people to run in and out of a combat rooms rather than stay engaged...
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Acarin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pmWhile this has a global effect on stealth users, it does not solve the ranged issue
It works toward addressing the issue brought up of ranged users being able to easily re-hide after being discovered and continuing to snipe from a hiding spot. One step at a time.
Acarin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pmand simply motivates people to run in and out of a combat rooms rather than stay engaged...
If they're wanting to perform multiple stealth attacks in the same encounter, then that would be the best way to go, but it's not going to go particularly well. I would discourage anyone from having expectations of making multiple re-entries into and ambush attacks from stealth in the same encounter. The intended flow is to initialize with a stealth attack and then finish off the encounter in the open (or once discovered, in the case of ranged attacks). That's why we have the Paranoia status effect, and this new update to make it harder to remain hidden from people who have already been made aware of the character's presence in the area.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what other changes are implemented. I am not sure why you say that running in and out would not go particularly well. The update only impacts attempts to hide in front of a mob. Getting spotted and walking out while they're in search rt, rehiding, and coming right back in seems like it would be just as effective as it was before based on these changes. This seems like it has more impact on melee users than ranged as well since now they can only get a single stealth attack (which can't kill) while ranged people can continue to snipe until discovered and then still walk out with no risk while the mob is in search rt, rehide and then come back and continue. I guess I'm just not understanding why it would not go well for them? It adds an extra step but is otherwise the same for them.
drawstring pouch (open).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Acarin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm I guess I'm just not understanding why it would not go well for them?
Mobs will have the Paranoid buff and be actively searching, which is not ideal for stealth users.

The most recent update did not make this leave-and-hide-and-sneak-back aspect harder, but that wasn't the intent of this update. This update was directed at people hiding/re-hiding right in front of the people they're trying to hide from.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO