Identifying Crest

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Candelori

Identifying Crest

Post by Candelori »

As a warrior who normally dons heavy armor from head to toe, my identity is often considered disguised. I wondered if it might be possible for players to put in a request to have a unique identifying crest or similar marking that, when worn, can allow others to assign a name to the wearer without the uncertain disguise designation.

To put forward an example, let us say that I request a cloak with a particular crest embroidered upon it. While I am wearing the cloak disguised or not, my friend names me as Alessandro. They would be notified that my cloak has a unique identifying crest upon it that can be used to identify me with certainty even should my facial features be concealed. As such, my name is not contained within question marks for my friend.

Additionally, I might one day be wearing a full suit of armor with face-covering helm, another day be wearing casual clothing with a bandana-mask to shield my nose and mouth from dust while riding, and yet another day be wearing a hood pulled low over my eyes to shade them from the sun. Despite the difference in configurations and each potentially masking different identifying facial features, my friend will always know with certainty that I am in fact the person they have named as Alessandro so long as I am wearing my cloak with its unique crest.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
nobody

Re: Identifying Crest

Post by nobody »

I like this idea, but how does it mechanically work if you remove your cloak and give it to someone else that is disguised to wear?
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

My personal preference would be to simply have it not do anything special for anyone other than the true owner. If that would be too meta for some to accept, then it could misidentify the wearer if they otherwise match the owner's description. We of course then get into the complexities regarding how close a match one would need to be in order to be misidentified based on what type of apparel it is, and other details such as whether the impostor's voice being heard should throw the the identity into question again and how that uncertain situation should be communicated in a manner that is both concise and consistent.

I am of the opinion that it is not wrong to draw a line at some point so as to avoid over-complication of the identity system. It is understandable that some might wish for greater realism with advanced potential for deception and subterfuge. I do worry that the latter would require too much work and consideration to be worth the effort, and would add more hassle to the identity system for players at large. I very much enjoy the identity system at its basic level, but would quickly begin losing patience were it to become more complicated than it already is. My hope with this request is to make it less complicated for fellow players in some cases by allowing those who so choose to provide a consistent and clear identity even when their facial features are hidden.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

It may be easier mechanically to just have someone to automatically recognize you by default regardless of your attire. The exception would be when you are wearing a special piece of equipment or using a specific skill which would disguise you to others by design.