Wilderness Scavenging

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Navi

Wilderness Scavenging

Post by Navi »

I love playing my treasure hunter. It’s been a lot of fun evading enemies, sneaking around, and just generally exploring the different areas. I’ve only recently been able to explore dark areas, which has made things a bit more challenging, since I’m unable to peer before moving. Being able to use arcana to supplement my style of playing has been very useful though.
I have noticed that after I’ve scavenged I’m pretty much back to just doing courier service and box picking in the warehouse, which is fine, but I’d like some new avenues for treasure hunting. The system I propose be implemented would encourage treasure hunters to go out and explore, even after they’ve become familiar with the various hunting areas and ruins. The system would tag random rooms in the wilderness as scavenge rooms on a daily bases. Once these rooms are scavenged, they can’t be scavenged again the rest of that day. This would allow a rogue or treasure hunter the ability to hunt for treasure, rather than just visiting the same spots day after day. I’m aware that scavengers could go and pick the stationary lootboxes, but that doesn’t really feel like treasure hunting to me, and it’s no different than what a ranger, bard, or nightblade could do.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Acarin

Re: Wilderness Scavenging

Post by Acarin »

Treasure hunters already have a huge number of rooms available to them daily. In addition, the ranged system lets them sneak around with 0 risk in higher level areas. As Navi said, there is also a continuing supply of fixed chests that spawn (which may not be as desirable since there is actually danger involved in picking them). I do think adding wilderness rooms would be imbalancing unless it was just 1 or 2 and they were the lowest tier of chest.

Some things to increase risk for treasure hunters would actually be a good idea... capping stealth at 10 points per level (just like combat) so they can see progression and open up new areas rather than scavenge every area at start... chance for rapid advancing or attacks for mobs, etc...

Scavenging looks quite fun but it's a side means of accumulating treasure... some degree of expansion could be cool but with a means of balancing so that there is more risk.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Sure they could scavenge from every area at the start, if they new where they were, but they would just be stock piling them for later, since they wouldn't be able to pick them, especially if they're putting points into perception. Personally, whatever level scavenge they provide is fine. I would just enjoy being able to actually hunt, rather than just visiting the same places every day. Feels more like treasure running, than treasure hunting.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
We'll meet again
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I mean... you can get locksmithing high enough to pick most chests in 6 levels... and stealth up in 6 levels as well... so basically... level 12? Not sure about your point there.

Maybe some of those chests you would usually scavenge in areas end up in random locations in the wilderness instead?
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Navi

Post by Navi »

I'm sure it could be balanced out if there is a problem with how many boxes can be scavenged on a daily bases, if it means taking out some scavenge rooms from areas, then that'd be something I personally would be willing to deal with.
We'll meet again
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

My point is that I think the existing system would feel more exciting to you if it was something that you had to work up to instead of being able to access almost everything from the start (or very quickly). Just like combat...
drawstring pouch (open).
Navi

Post by Navi »

Nah, I'm very certain that I would find the current system repetitive, even if it took me a month to get to the point I am now, because I'm at the point I am now, and it's very repetitive.
We'll meet again
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I could see rare resource sites as scavenge sites... that could be an interesting perk to make rogues and treasure hunters participate in faction conflict as well... maybe site has to be claimed by your side before scavenging? That could go a long way and potentially make rogues and treasure hunters diversify a bit more.

Sorry you don't like the existing system. I think it's pretty cool as is.
drawstring pouch (open).
Navi

Post by Navi »

I believe I said the exact opposite in my initial post. I do enjoy it, but as I said, it's repetitive, and could be adjusted for more variation.
We'll meet again