Stalking people on horseback

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Dennis

Re: Stalking people on horseback

Post by Dennis »

stealthy gorilla mount to swing through the trees sneakily following someone, yes please!
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Until then, I suppose I can just murder people's horses if I intend to stalk them for a robbery or something else.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I feel like when we get to the point that someone has gotten to a speedy mount and is galloping away cross-country, the time for stealthy automated pursuit is past. Now it's time to try and find out where they went, whether that's by Tracking, info-gathering, clever deduction, or some other means. Resume the sneaky stalking when the next opportunity presents itself. Worst case, just hope to run across them later. For better or worse, these people won't be leaving the Lost Lands thanks to the Quarantine (and the limited playable game area), so I think it's safe to say the pursuer and the pursued are bound to cross paths again soon enough. If the purpose of the stalking is time-sensitive, then I maintain that some kind of action should be attempted before the quarry has an opportunity to saddle up and get away. Stalking isn't meant to be an infallibly viable mechanic.

I am on board with Rangers getting some enhanced tracking. I could see them possibly being able to track "heavy" tracks from horseback, i.e. tracks made by other mounts and larger creature types that leave more obvious signs.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I'm not sure this should require an ability other than just tracking. The tracks should be pretty obvious and one should be able to follow quickly with minimal skill. Maybe that's the downside to that fast travel... you're very easy to track. Right now, if someone is traveling a long distance on horseback, they're not going to be able to be tracked because of the rt and ambiguity of tracking...

Again, this is a motivating factor to just kill people's horses knowing that I would not be able to keep pace... but I can just hear the calls of abuse already... people citing policy for their horse. We'll see how that goes.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Rias wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:58 pm I feel like when we get to the point that someone has gotten to a speedy mount and is galloping away cross-country, the time for stealthy automated pursuit is past. Now it's time to try and find out where they went, whether that's by Tracking, info-gathering, clever deduction, or some other means. Resume the sneaky stalking when the next opportunity presents itself. Worst case, just hope to run across them later. For better or worse, these people won't be leaving the Lost Lands thanks to the Quarantine (and the limited playable game area), so I think it's safe to say the pursuer and the pursued are bound to cross paths again soon enough. If the purpose of the stalking is time-sensitive, then I maintain that some kind of action should be attempted before the quarry has an opportunity to saddle up and get away. Stalking isn't meant to be an infallibly viable mechanic.

I am on board with Rangers getting some enhanced tracking. I could see them possibly being able to track "heavy" tracks from horseback, i.e. tracks made by other mounts and larger creature types that leave more obvious signs.
Does this only apply to speedy mounts then? What about mules and workhorses?
drawstring pouch (open).
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

#horsemurder #horselivesmatter #myblademychoice
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per today's changelog: Stalking can no longer keep up with characters traveling across the wilderness on mounts with a Speed rating above 0.

Based on previous comments in this thread, I feel compelled to note that a reported rash of attacks on horses is likely to have IC consequences similar to how a rash of attacks on people would.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO