Nightblade: Vision of Deepest Threats

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Navi

Nightblade: Vision of Deepest Threats

Post by Navi »

This idea comes from another mud I play in which there exists a cloak of shadows, similar to the shadow cloak here in COGG. The idea is pretty simple. The activator of this ability must have their shadow cloak active in order to activate this ability. Once it is activated, the shadow cloak then takes on the visage of something truly terrifying to those who look upon it. Lore wise, the visage would not actually have color, but simply be a sort of shadowy representation of whatever the fear is. Mechanics' wise, the ability forces a player to flee in a random direction if they fail a will save.
One of the direct benefits of this ability would be to help those players who can't find better opportunities to attack other players other than while they are on the road. There seems to be an issue with players who are killed on the road and since the policy discourages players from dragging corpses anywhere that isn't to the crypts of Shadgard, this ability would allow them to first send the person possibly off the road, and into a better area of execution. In this way, the player knows exactly where they died, and the killer can rest easy knowing they didn't leave evidence out in plain sight of everybody.
In a partially successful will save, the player or targets suffer a demoralized debuff and do not flee.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Re: Nightblade: Vision of Deepest Threats

Post by Rias »

I try to avoid fear-based mechanics that aren't the result of some supernatural direct triggering of the target's fear responses. People react differently to visuals of something they fear, and something one fears the most might not necessarily be a threat to run away from. There's also the issue of how the cloak knows the target's specific fears in the first place.

I'm also not keen on the apparent underlying goal of this being a way to force people off roads in order to attack them. I feel like if one doesn't want to have their assault of a victim be noticed by others, then one shouldn't attack their victim in a public place. There's quite a lot of world out there off the roads that people frequent. There's something to be said for finding opportune places to do so or coming up with ways to lure people away from roads. The setup and preparation should be part of the experience.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Re: Nightblade: Vision of Deepest Threats

Post by Navi »

Thanks for your response Rias. I only saw someone's posts in another thread and figured this might be a way to compromise. It was more for this reason than for any personal attraction to this sort of play style that led me to post. Again thanks for your input.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again