Massive Tree Warning

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Irylia

Massive Tree Warning

Post by Irylia »

Can there be a warning when someone starts working on a massive tree that basically says: Massive trees are not meant to be felled by single players and require many hours of work to both fell and process fully. If you wish to continue, repeat the command in X seconds.

Or something... It's been interesting seeing new players discover this on their own, but it's also a point of frustration for them and for those of us who then come in to help clean up later. I feel this would be a good addition to help let people know what they're getting themselves into - especially coming off other games where there is nowhere near the commitment from any size tree. It might also be good to put something about this, or crafting in general, in the new-player quiz or some other tutorial type lesson so people understand things like... it's okay to let branches get janitored. Or you can forage branches instead of felling trees for them. Either of which would help people with awareness and hopefully prevent "massive" tree issues.
Dennis

Re: Massive Tree Warning

Post by Dennis »

Since there's a sort of 'ready warning' for stump pulling I could see it working for massive tree felling too. Hello, I am one of the fools that is chopping a massive tree alone! I saw it was already slightly felled, so I thought I'd go in and clean up since it'd be easy. It has consumed 1 fine steel logging axe and I'm on my steel hatchet now. I've felled about 600 branches by now. Massive is an understatement! Honestly feels like a travesty that man can fell such a big tree.

It's not easy! :D But I have firewood for weeks now so that's cool.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Not precisely what you asked for, but should help toward the intended end result I think:

<CHANGELOG> (Woodcutting) Starting work on felling a tree will now give a time estimate of how long the felling will take to complete for that character. (Takes into account previous felling progress for that tree, if any.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Sounds good to me. I just hope it's more accurate than construction time/steps :P
nobody

Post by nobody »

It has been mentioned that it would be nice when clearing branches off trees if that also gave an estimate of time, it seems to take more time even than the felling and doesn't show any kind of progress estimates.