Bypassing traps

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

Bypassing traps

Post by nobody »

I noticed the suggestion over the weekend to pick locks while leaving the traps active and thought, that's actually a classic rogue trick. It might make for a cool rogue/treasure hunter ability to be able to make a more difficult locksmithing check to bypass the trap rather than disarm it. It'll be even more useful/devious for traps in ruins once those are a thing. I was going to end this post with some suggestions about how each of the existing traps might trigger on the person opening the box, but to avoid spoilers (and also because they're pretty obvious, aside perhaps from a small risk of fractured hands and the need to buy a drill for one trap), I want to also suggest that modification be made to the occult artifact to have it be a single-use item after the lock is picked (perhaps it has some kind of secondary function that charges based off of the state of the locking mechanism, the Arcanists of old were quite clever after all).
Acarin

Re: Bypassing traps

Post by Acarin »

To add to this, I had also suggested one or two specific traps that are triggered upon opening instead of upon initiation of picking. It would give people more of a reason to know and trust their locksmith... and locksmiths some hilarious opportunities to teach players that shuffle around boxes and loot while you're still picking a lesson... traps shouldn't just be for the locksmith! Let everyone enjoy em!
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Acarin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:20 amIt would give people more of a reason to know and trust their locksmith...
I mean, since this update
changelog wrote:02/03/21 Artifice: It is now possible to steal from ajar containers.
I only trust one locksmith and it's me. Looting the lockboxes while the locksmith is in roundtime seems like the logical response, so traps being for after picking does seem like the next step in the arms race. I don't like it, but I do understand it.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

It's extremely easy to get caught stealing from boxes... even new players will be able to figure it out as they'll open an empty box even if they don't catch you... so there's not much of an arms race. If you do shady things while lockpicking... you'll get a reputation.

It is fun to have the option of doing the occasional shady thing though.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.