Farm QOL improvements

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
shoryuujo

Farm QOL improvements

Post by shoryuujo »

I was just thinking about how to deal with figuring out how to process a crop after harvesting it. Command wise/syntax wise, we're good. What I mean is this:

When I harvest a sizeable crop, it goes to the ground. Once it's on the ground, I can't thresh or winnow, because there's too much stuff on the ground. Now, I think the quick go to would be to get a handcart, shift stuff around, process elsewhere, return when finished. Lacking a handcart, this seems problematic, long, and tedious. Any chance we could have this tweaked?

If I understand right, you can push your crop plot beyond the allowable limit, resulting in negative plot allocation. Not sure if this is known or not.

And I'm not sure what the criteria are about item count allowances on farms, but I've definitely run across such issues, and while the existance of the limit is not a problem, I can't seem to figure the rhyme or reason for what is allowed to be stored on the ground in excess, and what is not.
Acarin

Re: Farm QOL improvements

Post by Acarin »

I would suggest only allow items to remain on the ground in a farm for 5 minutes. This would solve a lot of issues including this.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
shoryuujo

Post by shoryuujo »

I think we'd at least need wagons in to alleviate this. It seems like you're pretty anti-farmer. Your suggestion only serves to further alienate those who farm on the MUD, I would think. A suggestion like this is akin to: I think all armor should despawn off the player on log out and it's not storable. In the respect that it's punitive for taking part in an activity in game.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Rias has stated that farms are creating problems as people are using them for personal storage. What I'm saying is that if you're close to maximum storage and you can't fit more on the ground, it might be a good idea to reduce clutter at your farm so that you have more capacity.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
shoryuujo

Post by shoryuujo »

There is a distinct difference between "using for personal storage" and "can't process the harvest I just pulled in on my farm". I do not wish to store it there, I wish to process it, and move/sell/allocate the items after processing to another location. Now, I can't easily or reasonably move through the processing step, because of this issue.

Also, regarding the ability to store lots of items on a farm:
1) are people allowed to store handcarts elsewhere? Do they?
2) There does seem to be some prevention of having many items present on a farm (even during a harvest). So, it seems like people can't just store tons of stuff on a farm anymore, or they have to meet certain criteria of which I am unaware.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Can you harvest less at a time? Not sure how that works but I assume you don't have to harvest everything at once?
drawstring pouch (open).
shoryuujo

Post by shoryuujo »

Yeah, if I'd known this would be an issue, I would have adjusted. Having been unaware you've not the space on a farm, to, at a minimum, harvest (not even a full blown farm) [approx. 40] plants, and not be able to process them. I'm a little stuck and head scratching right now. Not sure I, or anyone else would want to move the entire crop from a farm (and how will that be done without a handcart as a -minimum-, if not a wagon?), to move the whole thing in a single move, to another location, thresh/winnow, and then sort out, or store the products as desired.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

You can store a handcart in your bank vault (and at least used to be able to in a rented inn room as well - though I'm not sure if that still holds up), so farms aren't the only place. Additionally, there are furniture items/containers/construction-built storage items to help reduce clutter on the ground. They use up farm plots instead of ground space. You really should not be running into too much ground clutter on your farm if it's not being used for excessive storage, nor do I think we need to make them have a janitor since we already have clutter-limiting in place.

In the meantime, you should also be able to harvest straight to your backpack or another container using "container set" options. Granted, I don't know how many tilled plots you're dealing with and that may also be part of the problem. Just because you *can*, doesn't mean you should. It's very easy to grow much more than you can reasonably deal with in regular playtime, and you might have to make several trips to the market or other locations until a handcart can be purchased, but the container set command should let you at least move things around more easily. Honestly though, if your farm ground space is that cluttered already, you might also want to consider using the vault or other storage methods, or selling/trashing whatever excess you're not actually using until you can afford a handcart or farm structures to help with organization. If you can't sell what you're growing due to flooding or other market issues (like no set-price), post about it and see if you can find a direct buyer. The sooner you get a handcart, the less you need to worry about any of this.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Having dedicated baskets or crates that allow direct-to-container harvesting with better quality crates/baskets affording more space for produce could be a good way to promote more crafting interdependence.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

So I finally decided to go nuts with my tilled field and I'm seeing more where the issue is here. Given the size fields can achieve and the amount of items potentially harvested, it's extremely easy to exceed clutter limits and then run into problems with item management. Especially if you're doing monoculture and everything comes up for harvest at the same time.

Even with a handcart and other containers available, you can very quickly have too many items to deal with. In the case of rimeveil, you now not only have the base item, but no space to thresh and winnow despite those processes theoretically making the items consume less space. One issue here is that transfer can probably be used to bypass clutter restrictions - otherwise how are we able to keep moving more things to the ground to do this shuffling around. Another is the lack of logic in many small or tiny items causing as much clutter as the same number of larger items.

It might be better to change farm clutter restrictions away from strict quantity and more towards some other criteria such as size, or numbers by size (15 tiny = small, 10 small = medium, 5 medium = large, 2 large = huge or whatever). Or maybe an alternative is that harvested items don't count against the clutter rule since they degrade over time anyway (at least the edible ones do). Or possibly reduce the number of items harvested from each plot and increase their value. It would also be nice if rimeveil could finally have a standard market price set so people can stop hoarding it (even though it will be impossible to grow in the warmer season).

I tilled 40 plots for this experiment (nowhere near the maximum allowed) and harvested 249 bolls of rimeveil. It took me 4 handcart trips off the farm to get them threshed and winnowed and farmers starting out may not have the resources for a handcart, much like Shoryuujo didn't. I guess I just feel like if a player wants to be a pure farmer and use their land solely for growing plants, they should be able to then process those plants without all this extra effort. Of course possibly the easiest solution would be to finally implement wagons and make sure they have a capacity large enough to handle it.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to reduce my farm size again just to make things easier on myself.