More Tutorial Tasks for New Players/New Player Feedback

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Karjus

More Tutorial Tasks for New Players/New Player Feedback

Post by Karjus »

I'd like to suggest the following Tutorial Tasks for new players

1) ESP - Just a quick cover of ESP, and the syntax behind choosing a color. Could start with buying one from the market. Also, if the request concept goes in with the Twilighteye talking about that. Talking about how tone/speech can be used with it, but perhaps culminating in just getting a player to use AURA ALL FREE and saying if you wish to pick one now, use AURA X. I think it's too big a deal and important for interacting NOT to be a task itself.

2) A basic directions/movement one and how commands can be shortened. Many muds will use DOOR as an exit, instead of GO DOOR. It seems obvious to many of us who are used to a variety of muds and syntax, but it would also probably be welcome for people who are making the first job. (Also, it still bugs me that sometimes (go door and out both lead the same direction! WHY)

3) An Edit to Skills Task. It basically just asks you to go out and train a skill, which might be a bit much for a player who has just jumped in. I'd like to suggest the reward happen once you reach a training spot, and actually check to see what skills are available instead of on actually picking a skill to increase.

4) A Lore Task. A bit of a longer one, bug perhaps something obvious like attaching Lore to the Statue right outside the Town Hall which leads the player towards the Library and buying their first Portfolio to study the Statue. Get them to return to the Library again to cross-reference, and then leave the rest up to them..

5) I think Raggni should talk about the Nether and Sorcery, the Plague and the Resen. These are huge basic concepts central to the Lost Lands, like Undying, and would likely be a good way to introduce them to the players and allow them to be first introduced to them ingame so they don't feel totally clueless. No doubt some will gloss over, but if it at least introduced people to the help files it might be at least put them in their mind.

6) Even if there isn't much detail placed, there really should be a helpfile for everything currently in the character generation especially when there is next to zero information otherwise. This primarily relates to the Homelands. Very few of them have any info available, so just having a few sentences in a help file might be helpful to new players.

May find more as I go through this more...
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
stratcat

Re: More Tutorial Tasks for New Players/New Player Feedback

Post by stratcat »

Regarding 6, I'm in touch with a certain potential new player who's run into this problem! They ended up creating in Lost Lands because they couldn't find info on any of the other places they could choose from. That's a shame - maybe if they had a better idea of the other locations, they'd find that there's a better fit for their character concept.
Rias
DEV

Re: More Tutorial Tasks for New Players/New Player Feedback

Post by Rias »

All very good ideas and points. I'll get to forcing myself to write some short blurbs on each homeland so those aren't mostly empty, and then look into some additional tutorial tasks and task updates.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO