Clothing durability

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

Clothing durability

Post by nobody »

I heard that the good Kaiju Khan mentioned wanting clothing to wear over time and need mending/replacement. I would also love to see this, particularly for pieces that people wear out into combat, as it will create ongoing demand for tailors rather than a person buying clothing once and being done. Maybe set a similar kind of timer on clothing as for food (but much longer, like a year) but instead of a jump from eatable to spoiled, one where the durability slowly ticks down over time or possibly have clothing wear down with energy use instead of time. If you want to code it fancy, you could require the clothing be mended with the same color (or color family) thread or else it picks up the 'mended' adjective until it gets dyed again. Mending should require the weaving skill and knitting needles and yarn for knitted clothing (mending here is often called darning), or the tailoring skill and needle and thread and for tailored clothing. Maybe also cloth for very damaged tailored clothing.
Acarin

Re: Clothing durability

Post by Acarin »

I know a lot of people like this idea but I'm very much against it. Clothes are not part of combat mechanics and they're mostly for aesthetics and warmth. Therefore, I dont think they should be coded in the same way as equipment for combat. If they provided combat protection, I think that this would be a different story but they don't. I understand the realism aspect of it but not everything in the game needs to be realistic. There are plenty of people that are constantly wanting new clothes without the need for this. If a higher cost instant repair was available, fine... but I'm not really understanding why people would want this.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Xandrea

Re: Clothing durability

Post by Xandrea »

I like the idea and it's well thought out but, I wouldn't enjoy this particular upkeep in practice. Even being a tailor myself. It takes long enough to make clothing as it is, even if it takes a very long time for the durability to fall on it's own. (Or a particular hit which clarifies your mortality in a single blow.) This could become well too tedious for both involved parties. Especially since all clothing in the game will suddenly be on the timer so everyone's clothes are going to degrade at the same time. Clothes on the market will continue to degrade as well and unless they're consigned they won't get the upkeep required. People will go after newer product just so they won't need to contend with it sooner or buy it anyway and get it tailored. There may even be people that will just seek to replace their wardrobe entirely instead of getting their existing clothes mended. Getting the tailor to mend wouldn't just cost them riln, it costs something far more important. Their time.

EDIT: I WOULD like to see this for footwear however. I think that's where i could see this making the best use of durability. Especially if higher quality boots could reduce energy costs of travels or a similar bonus.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?