Clothing slots for outerwear

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Acarin

Clothing slots for outerwear

Post by Acarin »

Currently, coats, jackets and dusters seem to be worn in the cuirass slot. I would suggest moving all outerwear - cloaks, coats, jackets, dusters (and any I might be missing) to the cloak slot. As it stands now, none of these (except cloaks) can be worn over cuirass which feels a bit odd considering that I could still have vambraces, for example, under a coat.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Re: Clothing slots for outerwear

Post by Rias »

Those go in the "coat" slot which is set to conflict with the "cuirass" slot. I find it difficult to envision someone wearing a jacket over chest armor. Remember, these aren't sleeked-down modern-day protective vests, but a protective garment meant to cover as much as possible and be thick enough to provide protection with lesser (than modern) technology and materials. Seems like it would be too bulky to wear a sleeved garment over. (Presumably the vambraces are worn over the coat sleeves, not underneath).

All that said, I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on the details and dimensions and comfort of protective gear. People throw some good arguments and info and examples into this thread and I could probably be convinced to change my mind, and let the coat slot be worn over the cuirass slot rather than conflict with it.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

It would be odd for rigid leather or plate since they offer no flexibility and have significant volume. Soft leather (meaning light leather) would probably not be so thick that that they would prevent a loose coat from going over it. It's still only a layer or two of leather thick and designed to be somewhat pliable to slow impacts/cuts.

That being said, a cuirass only covers back and chest (and part of the shoulders), so not sure why that armor piece, specifically, would prevent a coat versus other armor.

Within the game, cloaks, coats, dusters, and jackets really all provide the same benefit - warmth coverage for back and chest (and maybe arms?). These items could all be hooded too. To me, I would expect that they would all be functionally the same... but I'm also no expert here.

I find wearing a cloak over a jacket equally odd to a coat over cuirass... but maybe that's just me.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
nobody

Post by nobody »

I have two hot takes on this. First take: if vambraces can be worn over coat sleeves, a cuirass should be able to be worn over a coat. Wearing a cuirass under clothing should be a special equipment offering for stealth types, like nightblades.

The second hot take is barely worth mentioning: Can we have a little more leeway to wear multiple pieces of clothing (though only one set of armor) and layer it with a layers command to just layer clothing how we want? Maybe have a "this is optimal" built in and any deviation causes a small encumbrance increase for each deviation. That's probably a disgusting amount of coding though, so not really worth the mention. It'll allow people to be warmer than intended, but if they're paying for wearing mittons over their gloves with both weight and an added encumbrance ding that's a fair trade IMO.
Navi

Post by Navi »

If you're just wanting some added warmth while wearing armor, perhaps granting tailors the ability to sew in some added warmth material would be the way to go. It could increase the level of warmth granted from the armor, while also increasing the weight.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Xandrea

Post by Xandrea »

This is a take away from a game I once played but, it sounds to me like the easiest solution would be to incorporate [Thickness]. Each of your limbs can only (for sake of example. I'm spitballing.) handle 15 thickness worth of wear. Say gloves are worth a thickness score of 5 or 10. with a thickness of 5 you could indeed wear THREE separate gloves, one over the other. Or wear gloves then wear thicker leather armour over it (which in itself has a thickness of 10).

The game currently checks (by my guess) whether certain slots merely conflict with one another. If we could change it so that instead it checks the current thickness of what you're currently wearing (Or not) vs what you're attempting to wear then it would hopefully be a pretty future proof method of incorporating layering whilst handling both clothing and armour. I understand this would be a hassle to impliment as it would require changing every parent item that's wearable. Then some QA to make sure Mr.Bailey isn't running around town with 15 pairs of underpants on for "optimal jewel protection".

It could even be an excuse to add ability requirements for medium and heavy armours so you can reduce the thickness penalties that such protections provide. Them having a bulky thickness to begin with would make it easier grounds to make sure that Ms.Bailey isn't toting all three (or two) flavours of armour level at once.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?