Cogg demographics

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

Re: Cogg demographics

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:36 pm Er, and fishing records, I suppose. Those use your hardcoded name. Could easily update that, though.
Maybe wanted posters too?
nobody

Post by nobody »

Alright, I've held off on doing race and homeland analyses because they're necessarily more linked than the other analyses. Let's start with the character creation process, because it's an important part of understanding the numbers we see.

Race, homeland orderings:
  • Faewyr: Tyr-gwyrd, Lost Lands, Parr, Karnath, Khaldea, Ivial
  • Fasa: Ancient Lands, Ivial, Khaldea, Tol Rhun, Lost Lands, Parr, Karnath
  • Giganti: Sirak Drauth, Lost Lands, Parr, Karnath, Khaldea, Ivial
  • Hillfolk: Karnath, Parr, Lost Lands, Khaldea, Ivial
  • Huecatn: Tatlhuecatn, Lost Lands, Khaldea, Ivial
  • Khaldean: Khaldea, Ivial, Tol Rhun, Parr, Lost Lands
  • Mixed: Khaldea, Parr, Ivial*, Karnath, Lost Lands
  • Nuum: Nuum, Tol Rhun, Lost Lands, Parr, Khaldea, Ivial
  • Rhuidim: Tol Rhun, Nuum, Khaldea, Parr, Lost Lands
  • Viali: Ivial, Khaldea, Lost Lands, Parr, Karnath
One of the fun things we can do with this is flip the table, making it look like this:
Homeland, Race orderings:
  • Ancient Lands: Fasa
  • Ivial: Viali, (Fasa, Khaldean), Mixed*, Huecatn, Hillfolk, (Faewyr, Giganti, Nuum)
  • Karnath: Hillfolk, (Faewyr, Giganti, Mixed), Viali, Fasa
  • Khaldea: (Khaldean, Mixed), Viali, (Fasa, Huecatn, Rhuidim), Hillfolk, (Faewyr, Giganti, Nuum)
  • Lost Lands: (Faewyr, Huecatn, Giganti), (Hillfolk, Nuum, Viali), (Fasa, Khaldean, Mixed, Rhuidim)
  • Nuum: Nuum, Rhuidim
  • Parr: (Hillfolk, Mixed), (Faewyr, Giganti), (Khaldean, Nuum, Rhuidim, Viali), Fasa
  • Sirak Drauth: Giganti, Hillfolk
  • Tatlhuecatn: Huecatn
  • Tol Rhun: Rhuidim, Nuum, Khaldean, Fasa
  • Tyr-gwyrd: Faewyr
This is a FUN table! But, it isn't clear whether it is based on a snapshot of the population of Arad, or it is based on a snapshot of the Lost Lands. There are still some interesting insights though. Like that Khaldea is the top choice for Khaldeans, but also mixed. It doesn't necessarily mean that Khaldea is equal parts Khaldean and mixed heritage (because (1) the racial homeland choices are ordered, but the first choice could represent 20% or 70% or different things for each race, it's unspecified and (2) there is no statement that the population of mixed race people is equal in size to the population of Khaldean people). I also love that everywhere Faewyr or Giganti are outsiders, they're there together. To me, that just reinforces that rivalry so much. But enough waxing poetic about character creation; it informs what is possible so now for the data.

The top choice for race by count is mixed (111), Faewyr (48), Hillfolk (44), and Rhuidim (43). The bottom is Fasa (18), Viali (27), Huecatn (29), and Khaldean (29). By level the top is Mixed, Nuum, and Hillfolk while the bottom is Fasa, Rhuidim, and Huecatn. By average level, the top is Nuum, Viali, and Khaldean and the bottom is Fasa, Rhuidim, and Mixed. The main take aways on race seem to be Fasa are not very popular (maybe because they've got no lore), and Rhuidim and mixed are popular by count (mixed nearly triple any other race), but they don't have the representation by average level as other races.

For homeland, the Lost Lands are the most popular (94), followed by Khaldea (54), and Tol Rhun (41). The bottom has the Ancient Lands (7), Parr (18), and Tatlhuecatn (23). By level Ivial bumps Tol Rhun out of third (fitting given lore), and Karnath replaces Tatlhuecatn as third from the bottom. By average level the top is Ivial, Tatlhuecatn, and Parr, while the bottom still has Ancient Lands last, followed by Lost Lands and Tol Rhun. The order swapping between count and average level is interesting. Except for the Ancient Lands, which stay put at the bottom, and it should be pretty clear why looking at the race data and recalling what we learned from character creation.

Let's look at those lovely monolithic places in a new light now:
Tyr-gwyrd: 33, 185 (L), 1,482,776 (XP), 5.6 avg lvl
Tatlhuecatn: 23, 151, 1,666,395, 6.6
Ancient Lands: 7, 11, 25,576, 1.6

Because each of these places are only pickable by one race, we can deconstruct them (a little):
Faewyr: 48, 234, 1,722,250, 4.9
Faewyr born outside of Tyr-gwyrd: 15, 49, 239,474, 3.3

Huecatn: 29, 171, 1,760,952, 5.9
Huecatn born outside Tatlhuecatn: 6, 20, 94,557, 3.3

Fasa: 18, 35, 122,209, 1.9
Fasa born outside the Ancient Lands: 11, 24, 96,633, 2.2

We can't deconstruct many other places well, and I'm entirely unwilling to do advanced analytics to reverse engineer the population, but we can eyeball things to see what they look like.

Sirak Drauth: 26, 160, 1,402,185, 6.2
Giganti: 33, 207, 1,790,153, 6.3
Hillfolk: 44, 247, 2,120,328, 5.6

Probably most of those characters from Sirak Drauth are Giganti. Probably.

Nuum (place): 35, 214, 1,579,735, 6.1
Nuum (race): 37, 266, 2,079,001, 7.2
Rhuidim: 43, 155, 794,851, 3.6

And again, probably most of those characters from Nuum are Nuum. Probably. It's technically possible that they all are, though less likely than the probability that all characters from Sirak Drauth are Giganti.

Tol Rhun: 41, 203, 1,296,583, 5.0
Nuum: 37, 266, 2,079,001, 7.2
Khaldean: 29, 182, 1,413,322, 6.3

This one is my favorite though. Because yes, yes, most of the characters from Tol Rhun are Rhuidim, probably. But... They can't all be, because the total levels of Tol Rhun are higher than the total levels of Rhuidim. Fasa would bring the average down, which means that there is some subset of higher than average (5 in this case) level characters born in Tol Rhun that are Nuum or Khaldean. I find this fascinating.

Alright, now lets look at Khaldea, because... why are there so many people from Khaldea and yet so few Khaldeans?
Khaldea: 54, 294, 2,184,172, 5.4
Khaldean: 29, 182, 1,413,322, 6.3
Mixed: 111, 442, 2,844,937, 4.0
Viali: 27, 174, 1,711,137, 6.4
Huecatn: 29, 171, 1,760,952, 5.9
Hillfolk: 44, 247, 2,120,328, 5.6
Faewyr: 48, 234, 1,722,250, 4.9
Giganti: 33, 207, 1,790,153, 6.3
Nuum: 37, 266, 2,079,001, 7.2

Right... Every race in the game can be born in Khaldea... Same for Lost Lands. Parr is close (they have no Huecatn) and so is Ivial (they have no Rhuidim). Lost lands was at the top of the homeland charts... that makes sense for absolutely everyone who wants to play a character born in Shadgard or Porto D'Esilio. By why is Khaldea second? My theory after reviewing the data is that people sometimes don't want to commit to a race (maybe because they feel they need to know the lore better first but want to jump into the game, or maybe it's for the expanded asthetic options, who knows?), so they pick mixed. And what's at the top of the mixed homeland list? Khaldea. I wouldn't be surprised if Khaldea-born characters are nearly half Khaldean and nearly half Mixed. I would be surprised if there were fewer than 16 mixed lineage, Khaldea-born characters. But that's just my theory.

Edit to add: I think this will conclude my analyses until the next demographic update. In the meanwhile, I'll be thinking over any suggestions about changing up the demographic data meaningfully.
nobody

Post by nobody »

With the turn of the year, I think it is a great time to request a refresh on the demographics. I also have some suggestions to change up the data, but feel free to ignore any and all of them.
  • Guild/class is great, leave as is
  • Race & homeland I'd like to see combined to one set with level and XP removed (Race, Homeland, Count). There was a request for primary stat also and it might make sense to throw it in here as well (Race, Homeland, Primary Stat, Count).
  • I'd like to see a special break out for mixed because it is soooo popular (Mixed, heritage group 1, heritage group 2, homeland, count).
  • The main skills display is good but goals aren't as useful there, consider cutting that column
  • I'd kind of like the idea of seeing skills by guild (and/or class) but that would probably be too revealing. However, I think it would be useful for the population to see (Guild, Class, Goal Ranks, Goal Points) filtered to only characters with at least one goal filled in) to see some build ideas and where things could be filled out more.
  • Skills by race (or skills by homeland) might be interesting, but I don't know if it'd be worth the effort?
  • If not added to race/homeland above, a Primary Stat table would be cool (Primary Stat, Count).
  • Consider removing retired characters from the demographics
  • For your own demographic uses, consider automatically shelving all characters for accounts that haven't logged in for more than 30 days (or whenever the aura color would normally be freed up - it might be easiest to just incorporate this into that normal clean up) and have the characters automatically be available for unshelving when the account next logs in even if its just the next day. Then you can see what the currently active set of players/characters looks like by filtering out retired and shelved characters (probably don't post that data though).
Thank you!
nobody

Post by nobody »

A new year has dawned and we've definitely had some growth in the number of unique accounts, I'd love to request an update on the game's demographics page.

Thanks!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

nobody wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:15 pm A new year has dawned and we've definitely had some growth in the number of unique accounts, I'd love to request an update on the game's demographics page.
It is done!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

2021/2022 Demographics Analysis Part I

Post by nobody »

Just posting about guilds and classes today.

Guilds
Count rankings (None 55% to 53%, Warrior 16% to 18%, Scholar 15%, Adventurer 13%)
Count rankings are unchanged, though a larger overall slice of the character pool is warriors compared to last year.
Level rankings (Warrior 30% to 34%, Scholar 31% to 30%, Adventurer 22%, None 16% to 14%)
Experience rankings (Warrior 31% to 35%, Scholar 37% to 35%, Adventurer 22%, None 10% to 8%)
Level and Experience rankings saw a shuffle at the top, with warriors now having more total levels and total experience than scholars, adventurers staying level and None taking up a smaller part of the pie.
Average level rankings (total levels divided by total count) (Scholar 35% to 34%, Warrior 32%, Adventurer 29%, None 5%)
Average experience rankings (total experience divided by total count) (Scholar 39% to 38%, Warrior 31% to 32%, Adventurer 27%, None 3%)
Average level rankings (total levels divided by total count) (Scholar 13.0 to 13.7, Warrior 11.8 to 12.9, Adventurer 10.8 to 11.6, None 1.9)
Scholars are still front of the pack in average level and average experience (driven primarily by physickers), but warriors saw a larger increase, with adventurers and none staying pretty level.

Classes
Class count rankings (physicker 52 to 58, nightblade 32 to 43, ranger 40 to 42, warlock 30 to 38, dreadnought 22 to 34, berserker 26 to 31, treasure hunter 21 to 31, primalist 26 to 29, bard 21 to 26, duelist 18 to 25, rogue 16 to 22, guardian 16 to 20, arcanist 14 to 16, marauder 11 to 13)
Most popular class (aside from None) is still Physicker, followed by Nightblade and Ranger (those two swapped places from last year).
Least popular class is still marauder, followed by arcanist and guardian (last year guardian and rogue were tied, with rogues having a higher count this year)
Class count growth rankings (dreadnought +12, nightblade +11, treasure hunter +10, warlock +8, duelist +7, physicker and rogue +6, berserker and bard +5, guardian +4, primalist +3, ranger, arcanist, and marauder +2)
Over the last year, dreadnought, nightblade, and treasure hunter had the highest count growth, while ranger, arcanist, and marauder are tied at the bottom.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I would like an option to be able to just remove our information from the data collected. No snooping please!
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
nobody

Post by nobody »

Navi wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm I would like an option to be able to just remove our information from the data collected. No snooping please!
I thought about this in my original request (and I believe Rias was mindful of it as well), so the data is all high enough level that it is impossible to connect to a character, and with a year between updates there is enough change for existing and new characters to be pretty well blended. If you take a look at the demographics page, you'll see what I mean.
nobody

Post by nobody »

At the beginning of 2021, the primary attributes were ranked as follows: Intuition (253), Agility (139), Willpower (105), Strength (100), Awareness (97), Constitution (96).
At the beginning of 2022, the primary attributes were ranked as follows: Intuition (302), Agility (152), Strength (130), Constitution (120), Willpower (119), Awareness (110).

Strength jumped from 4th to 3rd, constitution jumped from 6th to 4th, willpower dropped from 3rd to 5th, and awareness dropped from 5th to 6th.

Increases are ranked as follows: Intuition +49, Strength +30, Constitution +24, Willpower +14, and Agility and Awareness both had +13. So Intuition was most popular prior to 2021 and then increased the most by a good margin. Strength and Constitution also increased a sizable amount, while Willpower, Agility, and Awareness lagged behind.

As percent of new characters, Intuition got 34%, Strength 21%, Constitution 17%, Willpower 10%, and Agility and Awareness 9% each. With an even distribution, we would see roughly 17% to each (or +23.8 each).
nobody

Post by nobody »

A new year is upon us so I'd like to request the demographic data get refreshed. Additionally, I would love some additional fields this year: citizenship town (I know there are a lot of old characters that are going to be neither, but still fun to see), and count of inn rooms rented by inn. I'm hoping the last one gives something of a snapshot of activity, even though not everyone rents an inn room (I'm lookin' at you primalists with your fancy moss beds!) and it is at least possible to rent a long time out in advance and shelve the character (I have no idea whether anyone does that), but despite it's flaws I think it'd be cool to see. Thanks!