Visible Features and Gender

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
FainWelkin

Re: Visible Features and Gender

Post by FainWelkin »

I think androgynous works. "Other" or "Third Gender" would also be good options if you prefer one of those.
ItsYaBoiiRoan

Post by ItsYaBoiiRoan »

I believe non-binary is a better option to use than androgynous. Since being androgyne does not inherently mean the disuse of common he/him and she/her pronouns (For example, an AMAB Androgyne might still use he/him pronouns despite looking somewhat more feminine - case in point; Rimuru Tempest from the anime That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, who has an androgyne body yet still used the he/him pronouns).

They/them pronouns are most commonly used for non-binaries to indicate that their gender is indeed neither male nor female, and while you could in theory be a androgyne non-binary, so can tall, muscular people with full beards also consider themselves non-binary, and the term non-binary is quite broad to the point I cannot concretely explain the very fine details of it all.

Regardless, while I could appreciate a third "gender" being added, and I am in no way opposed to it, I do think this is a feature that has no haste, and it shouldn't just be added one-two-three, in my opinion.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

When it comes down to it, at this point this character option is just impacting how a character appears to others. There are a very few mechanics that had some differences based on if a PC was male or female, but I'm sure they won't be missed if I take them out. (Goodbye, Groinkick bonus nausea effect against males.)

So to clarify, this is not meant to as a declaration of a person's preferred pronouns or personal gender identity, as that's something that others wouldn't know unless specifically told. Just like when you look at someone in-game you don't see their race, or their guild, their faction standings, their morale, their skills, their primary attribute, and so on.

To put it simply: If you see your character appearing as specifically/traditionally male, pick the Male option. If you see your character appearing as specifically/traditionally female, pick Female. Otherwise, pick Androgynous.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
FainWelkin

Post by FainWelkin »

Sounds good to me. WIll it be possible to change a character to it whenever it's implemented?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

FainWelkin wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm WIll it be possible to change a character to it whenever it's implemented?
Yep. I'll probably just do so manually upon request, as it's a very simple change.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

How about we just get rid of gender/sex all together and refer to everyone as person.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Okay, the more I looked over things, the more complicated cases I found when it comes to using they/them. Because I'd rather implement this sooner than later and I've got a lot of other stuff I'm in the middle of, for now we are going with zie/hir/hir/hirself. So here's my test character:
>look self
You see a tall average-built youthful person with bronze skin (yourself!).
Zie is about six feet tall and appears to be youthful. Zie has chin-length curly black hair and bright brown eyes. Hir skin is bronze and build is average.
No obvious wounds or maladies.
Zie is wearing a heavy canvas backpack (open), a threadbare linen shirt, some tattered wool pants, and some weathered leather boots.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO