Different Currencies

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Bonehead

Different Currencies

Post by Bonehead »

An idea came to my head yesterday during our discussion regarding the economy and room sinks. What if we had different Currencies that were accepted by diffrent traders. For example:

Riln - Standard currency used by traders, as well as the main currency of the Lost lands. With the ongoing Quarantine, Riln is not as abundant and free flowing as it once was, the only new sources of Room coming from old treasures found in ruins, smugglers who break the quarantine to trade, or exiles who come to the Lost Lands with what they have.

Republic of Exiles Greenbacks - Issued by the ROE due to the rarity of incoming Riln, while still being able to pay the various laborers and soldiers that keep the republic running, the Greenbacks would be common in any settlement that is apart of the Republic.

Dominion Dinar - Coins minted by the Dominion and used within it's borders, and used to show not only it's economic power, but it's overall strength and stability as well. Found in Dominion affiliated towns, settlements, outposts, etc.

Indipendent towns/settlements could easily accept any of the above, or just Riln if they prefer.

A player could go to a town's bank, let's use Shadgard for example, and trade a certain amount of Riln in exchange for Greenbacks. These Greenbacks would then be useable in town to purchase goods. Why? Because in Shadgard, everyone uses greenbacks. It's a Republic town, after all. Perhaps prices could be listed in Greenbacks, and Riln, with Riln having a markup due to the fact that the merchant will have to bother exchanging the room themselves. The same thing with a Dominion town. They wouldn't accept filthy republic greenbacks, but they would allow you to trade Riln for Dinars.

In addition, event Merchants could request payment for their goods in specific currencies. Perhaps they are patriotic, or simply prefer one currency over the other due to their preferred trader route. In addition, the GM can manipulate the economy and value of these currencies depending on what is felt to be needed to balance the economy, or in response to player/event actions.

One idea I've always envisioned, due to the fact that I always pictured Hoss as a trader, was the fact that some groups might not accept Riln as a currency at all. What does a guy needing supplies for his isolated tribe need with Riln? Perhaps he prefers gemstones, or useable goods, not metal coins.

In ANYCASE, I don't know how hard or easy this idea would be to implement. But, all, or some of it perhaps, might help with any Riln inflation issues.
Wut?
Rias
DEV

Re: Different Currencies

Post by Rias »

When I was originally setting up the currency functions for the game, I had multiple currency types in mind. I haven't implemented any at this point because I feel like it's a bit too fiddly to be something dealt with on a frequent basis. Having a different currency for Dominion territory would be pretty cool, though. I figure the Republic is happy using riln.

P.S. Shadgard is an independent entity, though it's pretty common knowledge that the Republic is trying to convince them to join up. I was thinking just the other day about the nitty-gritty of what being a part of the Republic actually entails so I could start having some little mini-events happen regarding that.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO