Skill decrease

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

Skill decrease

Post by nobody »

I've been contemplating skill unlearning again as I become more attached to my starter character, despite my growing regret on being tied down to skills I've wanted to figure out but not stick with. Given that, I wanted to throw in my argument for why I think skill unlearning should be a thing, and any of the potential pitfalls I've thought through on the way.

How it works right now (I think): Skill increase increases your rolls, grants recipe points (if applicable), and allows the practice skill level to increase. Practice skill only functions as a bar to where skill can be bought. There is a reset option, as well as a planned reset, which will remove purchased skills, recipes, guild affiliation, and all abilities. Practiced skill remains unchanged, allowing people to quickly repurchase skill (provided the riln is available).

Why I think there should be a skill decrease option: Right now guild is a big choice, you can't change your mind on it (aside from the above mentioned resets). But also every skill point is a big-ish choice. Maybe a medium choice. Any skill picked up will be a potential source of future regret, and while the availability of a reset minimizes that concern for now, the post-reset period of the game will still have this issue to contend with. But there is in my opinion a better reason to allow for skill unlearning. It can allow for dramatic story changes to renew characters rather than ending them. A combat veteran who sees too much and turns pacifist or a blacksmith turned warrior on a quest for revenge aren't relegated to only being an option for a backstory, but a lived and experienced story. Transformative moments in characters lives' can be times to push forward, but they can also be times to step back and reconsider things and take a different path.

That's my argument, but it's a big ask. Here are some ideas I've had about how to do it (or not do it) and why.
  • Skill decrease lowers purchased skill and nothing else: This is pretty abuse-able because characters could buy skills up to what they need to learn all their recipes and then drop them back down. While they'd be forced to only make poor quality versions, they wouldn't have to rely on anyone else. Not ideal.
  • Skill decrease lowers purchased skills and recipe points: This solves the issue of raising skills to get all the recipes and then dropping them back down, but introduces a new one: how do you implement the loss of recipe points (ideas on that below)? Another flaw with this method overall is that it could lead to people alternating between two significantly different skill sets since they don't need to re-practice skills to rebuild them.
  • Skill decrease lowers purchased skills, recipe points, and practice points: Here alternating between two (or more) ability sets is more difficult, because it requires rebuilding the skill over time (though for some skills, such as swimming (at least at present), that's a non-issue). However, it's still too swingy without the additional consideration of time.
Time
Any of the above options, if instantaneous, would tend toward abuse. If the unlearning required time though, characters could grow into skills, and grow out of skills. The rate of unlearning seems important, but I don't know what scale is most appropriate (balancing realism and roleplay and mechanics). If enough time is required though, there is less concern about leaving practice points in place.
  • 5 skill points per day: Going from 700 skill to 0 skill would require 560 days or a little over 1.5 years. I feel like this one might move too quickly compared to other options.
  • 1 skill rank per day: Going from 700 skill to 0 skill would require 700 days, just under two years. That doesn't seem inappropriate for the extreme examples noted above, at least, not to me. And you could still unlearn a 25-point skill purchase in a month.
  • up to 100 skill points at a time in 30-day increments: This takes 870 (ish) days (2.4 years) from 700 skill to 0 skill, and any unlearning from 0-100 skill requires 30 days no matter where in that range it falls. This also seems not unreasonable to me, but it also gets a little gross arithmetic-wise because you have to unlearn 600-700 skill ranks in increments of 98 skill points (14 ranks * 7 points = 98 points), 500-600 skill ranks in increments of 96 skill points (16 ranks * 6 points = 96 points), etc.
  • up to 25 skill ranks at a time in 30-day increments: This also takes 840 days from 700 to 0. The arithmetic works a little more nicely, but I don't like that unlearning from 700 to 600 takes the same amount of time as unlearning from 100 to 0 (120 days).
  • organic with new growth: The idea with this one is that you flag a skill as decreasing (or possibly decreasing to target, e.g. skill decrease swimming to 500) and it only goes down as you raise other skills up. While this would be more internally consistent if it relied on purchased skill, that would allow someone to set a skill to decrease and then immediately raise several fully practiced skills to quickly erase the decreasing skill. This approach would move more smoothly if it followed practice levels. Basing the decreases off of practice increases would require practice levels decreasing with purchased skill levels (for sustainability) and would also fall apart for the rare case of a max level character with all skill points spent and all practice maxed. What I really like about this option though is that instead of saying "You're all set to unlearn, come on back in a month when you can learn new skills!" it encourages people to continue to play and progress at their own pace rather than at the pace of a cool down timer.
As noted, I don't know what the ideal time frame is for unlearning skills, but a table can sometimes be quite helpful (with due apology to our screen reader users who likely already hate the BBS enough as it is):

Code: Select all

Days required to unlearn
+-----------+-------------------+----------+---------+----------------+--------------+--------+
| Ranks (R) | Skill Points (SP) | 5 SP/day | 1 R/day | 100 SP/30 days | 25 R/30 days | Ideal? |
+===========+===================+==========+=========+================+==============+========+
|    25     |        25         |      5   |   25    |       30       |      30      |   30   |
+-----------+-------------------+----------+---------+----------------+--------------+--------+
|    50     |        50         |     10   |   50    |       30       |      60      |   30   |
|    100    |        100        |     20   |   100   |       30       |     120      |   30   |
|    200    |        300        |     60   |   200   |       90       |     240      |   90   |
|    300    |        600        |    120   |   300   |      210**     |     360      |  150   |
|    400    |       1,000       |    200   |   400   |      330**     |     480      |  240   |
|    500    |       1,500       |    300   |   500   |      480**     |     600      |  360   |
|    600    |       2,100       |    420*  |   600   |      660**     |     720      |  480   |
|    700    |       2,800       |    560*  |   700   |      870**     |     840      |  630   |
* assuming partial rank decreases because 501-700 cost more than 5 skill points per rank
** because ranks 201-300 require 3 skill points per rank, an additional 30 day period to remove a small number of additional skill points becomes necessary.

Days required to unlearn
+-----------+---------+----------+---------+----------------+--------------+--------+
| From Rank | To Rank | 5 SP/day | 1 R/day | 100 SP/30 days | 25 R/30 days | Ideal? |
+===========+=========+==========+=========+================+==============+========+
|    700    |   600   |   140    |   100   |      240       |     120      |  150   |
+-----------+---------+----------+---------+----------------+--------------+--------+
|    600    |   500   |   120    |   100   |      210       |     120      |  120   |
|    500    |   400   |   100    |   100   |      150       |     120      |  120   |
|    400    |   300   |    80    |   100   |      120       |     120      |   90   |
|    300    |   200   |    60    |   100   |      120       |     120      |   60   |
|    200    |   100   |    40    |   100   |       60       |     120      |   60   |
|    100    |    0    |    20    |   100   |       30       |     120      |   30   |
The ideal column is my guess based on my own arbitrary preferences for (1) skills taking longer to untrain the more times they had to be deliberately raised, (2) it always taking at least 30 days to unlearn to prevent skill toggling, (3) an unlearning time close to 1 year for 400-level skill, and (4) an unlearning time in excess of a year and a half for 700-level skills. It roughly equates to 150 skill points per 30-day period.

Additional Considerations

Losing recipe points
  • Force the player pick a recipe (or recipes) to unlearn: I don't like that this would let someone unlearn a recipe and learn another to toggle between two sets of recipes, but may not be an issue based on the time considerations (above). I do like that this would allow further development of available recipes without needing to hand out resets or similar headaches when players are on a skill point/craft recipe budget.
  • Force unlearning a random recipe: This result is functionally similar to the above, but with people wasting more time playing recipe roulette.
  • Have the game remember the order the recipes are learned in and just disable-but-not-remove the latest recipe: This essentially forces someone to relearn any previously unlearned/disabled recipes if they ever raise the skill again. This might lead to regret on recipe choice (especially if dramatically more recipes are released).
  • Allow recipes to be unlearned independently of skills: This would require recipes to be unlearned first (requiring more time to unlearn craft skills than non-craft skills unless recipe unlearning is instantaneous) or to already be flagged for unlearning with simultaneous unlearning of recipes and skills allowed. If the latter, the system should prevent anyone from canceling unlearning a recipe without first also canceling any skill unlearning that was contingent on that recipe unlearning.
Cancel that order!
Should it be possible to cancel unlearning a skill? I think so, but what happens then? Do they not unlearn any of the skill? Do they unlearn some of the skill? I lean toward the 30-day increment models because that makes it easy to say if you cancel nothing gets unlearned in that unlearning session. If partial unlearning on cancellation is a thing, be sure it cannot be gamed to be faster to repeatedly partially unlearn skills rather than completing the unlearning sessions.

Please let me know if you see any loopholes that I've missed or other considerations that I've left out. Also please chime in if you have any idea of the ideal amount of time unlearning should take. Thanks for reading!
Rias
DEV

Re: Skill decrease

Post by Rias »

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this. While on board with the idea of decreasing things to allow for some testing of the waters and experimentation, I'm leaning toward a "point of no return" concept, where once you've become significantly proficient in something, you've invested to the point that you can't just decide you're going to abandon it all and do something completely different instead. If major changes are ever implemented to a particular skill, that could come along with one-time opportunities for people to unlearn it if they feel it's now ruined for them.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

I really think we should be able to decrease skills so we can try things out without feeling scared there's no going back if we end up not liking it. I don't care if it takes a really long time, just as long as it's possible. 1/day seems fine?
nobody

Post by nobody »

I feel similarly, and some skills like swimming require a substantial skill commitment before they can be properly tried out.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I would definitely like to be able to unlearn recipes. Because recipes don't always say what they are or what they're used for, people might pick up a recipe they find out later isn't helpful to their character and it may prevent learning something more useful. The way I see it, recipes come and go from the mind fairly frequently anyway. I certainly don't have a bunch of recipes or patterns memorized in real life and frequently have to look at instructions, patterns, or cookbooks.

I feel this should be an intentional choosing of whichever recipes the player likes, though maybe have some kind of time limit on how often you can unlearn one per skill. Maybe one per month per skill? Or maybe you can only unlearn a recipe if you're actually capped out on points for your level and then you're able to unlearn as many recipes as necessary to learn the one you want in a direct point exchange. So if a recipe costs 10 points, you can choose 2 5-point recipes to unlearn and then there's a cooldown for that skill for 30 days.

It would be most beneficial to be able to unlearn recipes independent of whether or not you unlearn a skill, but if you unlearn a skill so far that you go into negative recipe points, then you should have to unlearn enough recipes, and of sufficient quality requirements, to match. Regardless of method, the recipes themselves should be player's choice - especially given the small size of the community, potential for error/misunderstanding, and potential need to gap-fill.

For skills, I would be interested in some type of tiered unlearning - like the "point of no return" mentioned. Like if you've gone up to 700, maybe you can only unlearn down to 500 (or maybe 400) - 600 to 400 - 500 to 300 etc. and that it be gradual over time, not all at once. However, I do not feel like it should take a player a year or more, even at very high skill levels, to make any sort of impactful dent in their skill if they really need or want to change it out. I certainly don't think it should take longer to unlearn the skill than it did to learn it if it's being unlearned in any of the non-organic methods.

The reason I'm in favor of blocking skill reduction at certain levels is because even if your character makes a conscious decision to go from warrior to pacifist, they still took the time to learn those skills and they will stick with them even if that character never uses them again. They're an essential part of that character's story and evolution. There have also been times in life where what I do has changed course and if I try to jump back into those activities even a month later there's a learning curve again. But it's definitely not the same as starting from scratch. So to me the point of no return makes total sense (even if it might make for some hard choices later on).

On that note - I really like the organic type system described. Being able to learn something new as you unlearn something old seems very fluid to me. I never enjoyed the fact that in other games you might go to unlearn an ability and (if already capped) would not be able to learn a new one until the timer ran out - essentially making your character less capable than others during that time by having no access to the one being unlearned or a new one. I think this method would be the best approach as far as progression and encouraging players to keep playing - as stated in the original post. The main issues I see are people flip flopping too frequently or people learning/unlearning too quickly and I'm not sure I have a solution for either problem. Maybe players learn (practice - not bucket) at a reduced speed while unlearning something else?

Anyway, good discussion. I appreciate the very detailed and thoughtful ideas presented.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Maybe it would be a good idea to have an OOC practice area or test server where players can fiddle around with skills at higher levels just to try things and then IC decisions are more permanent. It would help with players not necessarily having to character swap so much just to get a feel for something, invest a ton of time and effort, potentially get involved in RP, then decide it's not for them. Might also serve as a good way to test out potential issues or come up with new ideas without seeming meta in the main play area.

I could see people being opposed to this on the grounds of then there's a potential for lack of discovery or some things might be RP blocked intentionally or need to be more of an investment, but I think it's still worth considering. I'd rather the game environment be saved for RP and the figuring out of mechanics and player-side preferences be done elsewhere. This would allow players the opportunity (though not required) to make well-informed decisions about the direction of their characters before they commit points in-game.

I do still think that a skill decrease system would be amazing, but this could help with reducing the need to lower skills in the first place.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

I actually agree with the notion that if you've learned a skill to a certain amount that chances are, it's just a skill that your character at least is somewhat familiar with and knows to some degree. That said, I completely empathize with that desire to get rid of some skills you realize you don't want anymore, and I say that because I'm also one of said players (think of all the climbing skill I could invest if I wasn't saddled with pottery!). With most skills not fully fleshed out yet, it's a little harder to determine how much I actually want to invest per skill, and I suspect that won't change for a while.

I was thinking that some fraction of the practiced skill you'd always likely know, or maybe even just the 100 minimum skill point investment. Being saddled with a skill you don't intend to utilize much at 100 skill points is an easier pill to swallow for poor planning than something like 400 (1 level vs 10 levels worth of skill points). The reset process could also probably reset recipe points so that if you go from 400 to 100, you don't have 400 recipe points to 100 skill points, you've just got the 100 for each.

In terms of testing skills, I was thinking that having skills under 100 gives the opportunity to deplete to 0, while going above 100 causes it to not be able to go lower than 100. My biggest concern with that suggestion would be if someone decided to be "cute" and keep some skills at 99 for a while to maximize use of the skill without needing to actually commit (or whatever that limit is). Maybe it should be after a period of in-game time the skill stops being "new" and starts being "familiar" and loses the ability to completely deplete, and if so what sort of identification system can be implemented so players aren't caught unaware and find that the skill they were dabbling with can't be turned back after they determine they have no interest in it for their character.

Another thought I had was that if people wanted to test certain skills, item quality could be generally worse (less profitability) for crafting or general skills maybe have it only be partially effective. Enough to see the effects against lower level skill checks, not enough to derive a lot of benefit until you commit to it.

Just some thoughts. I ultimately like the idea of skill depletion to some degree, just from a gaming perspective and just knowing how poorly I personally plan things out. Just not sure how I'd want to see it implemented for complete depletion vs partial depletion.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Agelity wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm ...
I was thinking that some fraction of the practiced skill you'd always likely know, or maybe even just the 100 minimum skill point investment.
In terms of testing skills, I was thinking that having skills under 100 gives the opportunity to deplete to 0, while going above 100 causes it to not be able to go lower than 100.
My biggest issue with that kind of setup right now is diving. I wanted to try out diving. 250 skill points later I'm still not diving and I'm real hesitant to sink in the next 50 to see if it starts working. I wouldn't say it's an important part of my character's story though. I tried it a few times and was unsuccessful. I walked home and washed off the briny smell.

Edit to add: That being said, I recognize that swimming is presently an unusual case. It requires extremely low effort to raise swimming a lot.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

My biggest issue with that kind of setup right now is diving. I wanted to try out diving. 250 skill points later I'm still not diving and I'm real hesitant to sink in the next 50 to see if it starts working.
For things like swimming, riding, climbing, meditation, trading, husbandry, linguistics etc. it would be great if there was a lot more clarity in general. When Somnium was being worked on I seem to remember there being some indicator of the different levels required with climbing and swimming to be able to do certain things. We don't really have any of that transparency here.

If people are able to get a better feel for what their characters will be able to do with various skill point levels, then that helps with not feeling a need to put points into things just to test and experiment. People already know that they need at least 400 for "fine" quality in crafting, but other areas could use a bit more information to help players with their decision-making. Even if things aren't fully fleshed out yet, at least putting some kind of indication of where things might end up down the road would be a good start.

250 points may not seem like a big investment to some, but to me that's already very substantial and well worth having alternative means to experiment with the skill or a way to significantly decrease it in-game. I totally understand the hesitation to invest in it further.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

nobody wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:35 pm
My biggest issue with that kind of setup right now is diving. I wanted to try out diving. 250 skill points later I'm still not diving and I'm real hesitant to sink in the next 50 to see if it starts working. I wouldn't say it's an important part of my character's story though. I tried it a few times and was unsuccessful. I walked home and washed off the briny smell.
Diving should only be 150 at last check, so I'm curious if there's just not a lot currently implemented for diving to be of much use right now. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Rias!

That said, your example does provide a good point about wanting to try a skill to a point where it can do specific things (like diving which requires over 100), but is above the limit I proposed. In this example I'd still think that someone who'd want to dive would at least want to swim to some degree, so the 100 investment "fallback" isn't completely wasted, and if they wanted to turn back to 150-200 swimming instead of 250+ depending on what the skill offers it could certainly help. Goodness knows once you start going above 200 skill allocating skills can cause a lot of second guessing!

That's not the say there aren't other examples where this might be the case and would make a "grace period" confined to skill level awkward to work around (like someone investing 200+ metalworking for making bladed weapons only to realize their character lost their aspiration for weaponry and just wants to make rivets for the rest of their life). Some extra transparency on what skills can provide at certain levels would definitely help, just how much transparency should there be to sate our curiosity and allow us to plan our goals more effectively.