Fishing nets and traps

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Rilulth

Fishing nets and traps

Post by Rilulth »

To extend to the fishing skill and open up ocean fishing a little more, the use of fishing nets and crab pots/traps.

Fishing net: Ocean only. Cast the net from beach/pier/boat and wait 15 minutes to catch between 1 and 15 fish (depending on skill)

Crab pots/traps: Place in ocean, river or pond with bait for the chance to catch crab (saltwater), lobster (saltwater), shrimp (salt or freshwater), langoustine (saltwater) or crayfish (freshwater). These I would think would be required to leave out for at least an hour, so could be instanced like the crafting tables and such. Or not, either way!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Lexx416

Re: Fishing nets and traps

Post by Lexx416 »

I love these ideas. There could be multiple varieties of fishing traps, as well. Simple clay vessels placed in moving water with bait, woven baskets and cages, etc.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

There are so many ways to expand on fishing, I could spend hours coming up with ideas!

Also, this is merely a suggestion as yet, we still need the boss to okay and code it in :)
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rilulth wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 pm There are so many ways to expand on fishing, I could spend hours coming up with ideas!

Also, this is merely a suggestion as yet, we still need the boss to okay and code it in :)
Yeah! But I think it could be really cool. It'd be neat to expand our fishing, since I don't think you traditionally angle for arthropods and such, so that could be a specific way to gather those. There's even Bushcraft applications of setting up fishtraps in a shallow river with rocks, which could increase the yield of manufactured traps, and allow for things like spearfishing to be easier, or for traps to yield fish and not just crabs/crayfish/etc
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Ansarian

Post by Ansarian »

Define angling. Because my family has traditionally 'angled' for crabs with a piece of meat tied to rope. ;) Really good fun, that.

That said I am naturally inclined to like everything in this thread because I am very fond of any and everything to do with fishing.