Animal Shelters

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Irylia

Animal Shelters

Post by Irylia »

Just a few suggestions for sheds/hutches/coops etc. that may or may not be useful:

1. When looking at the structure or examining it, a list of which animals are living there or at least how many/whether or not it is full.
2. Similar to the change on woodsheds or food calculations in the wilderness - the ability to store food in a shelter and see some indication of how full it is on storage capacity for feed.
3. The ability to see how much feed any particular shelter can hold.
4. The ability to know how many days worth of feed is in a shelter based on the animals assigned to it. (I realize 2-4 are kind of similar. It would just be very helpful for if you have to take a break so you know how long your animals are fed).
5. The ability to assign certain animals to specific shelters for organization - maybe?
6. The ability to direct-sell/reassign ownership of animals to another player by leading it to their shelter and assigning it to them.
7. The ability to deconstruct a shelter if no longer needed - I think anyone should be able to tear down. Maybe if someone with construction does it they can salvage material.
ironcross

Re: Animal Shelters

Post by ironcross »

I second everything here. Also, demolishing structures at some point will probably be necessary, especially if someone builds the wrong thing by accident.

Also, if someone needs to go away for IRL reasons - such as a business trip - and don't expect to be able to play during that time, it would make sense to be able to arrange for things to be taken care of in their absence. This is where a rough time estimate would come in handy for the feed.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

These are good ideas, but will require some code additions that I'm not sure how I'd go about implementing. Not to say it'd be particularly difficult, it'll just require some planning. Right now livestock aren't associated to any particular shelter, just an overall shelter space check when purchasing animals.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

As a potentially alternate or additional solution to this since we've all been discussing access and clutter so much - maybe there can be a new construction recipe for a feed trough. Something we can just throw all our grass/hay/feed into for the larger animals and they can just all eat out of one thing instead of keeping the food on the ground or in individual shelters and worrying about one running out faster than another.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

They seem to pull from the first on down.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Hm... I hadn't noticed that, but it seems to align with what Rias said about the animals not being assigned to a particular shelter. However, this would be so that animals from both large and small could feed out of one place without keeping the feed on the floor or having to put it into the shelters if you have multiple ones to manage.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Right, animals should only eat feed from shelters they can actually use. So cows shouldn't eat from hutches, or rabbits from large animal sheds. Some kind of universal feed hopper that you can just dump food into for all animals is a great idea! To-doed.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

Haha yeah, food on the ground = bad bad bad player and angry angry angry Rias!
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I wasn't going to go so far as mixing chicken feed and bunny food with grass, but hey, that works too!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I just added the "animal feed troughs" recipe, which you can just dump all your animal feed items into and any animal will eat from it. Go scoop that animal feed off the ground and clean up the clutter!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO