market and trading suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Kalista

market and trading suggestions

Post by Kalista »

while I feel like the market helps people purchase things they want, it floods easily and it's hard to make any steady riln. Here's an idea I came up with
: Perhaps have npc's ask for a specific item, like maybe they want a wool hat, for example, and it generates a post on the market board, for which item they want and how many. Players with that craft skill can check it, find something they like and accept it, kind of like the task system, but more like a job opportunity. When the player is done, they can somehow trade it to the npc, that's something I"m not entirely clear about yet, and I'm sure other people will come along and suggest other stuff.

I just feel like there should be more opportunities to sell things your good at, instead of trying to dabble in every single crafting skill just to sell it to a flooded market anyway.
Rias
DEV

Re: market and trading suggestions

Post by Rias »

Crafting tasks are something I'd like to reintroduce (they were a thing a long while back but had some issues). But I'll also look at tweaking how quickly the market despawns excess items (presumably NPCs are buying them) to tone down the flooding issue. The idea there is that people will have to check the market and think a bit about what to make in order to sell, rather than just making the same thing and selling it over and over forever. So yeah, I'll go ahead and look at the market stock reduction now.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I've updated how the market categorizes items when it comes to determining stock flooding. The following factors are now taken into consideration:

- Quality. The market can be flooded with average buckles, but still buy fine buckles.
- Animal type for most animal-based products. This means alpaca wool, sheep wool, rabbit wool, squirrel wool, all have their own categories and won't count toward each others' market stock quantity count. Same with leather, or eggs, etc.
- Metal type for most metal products. Market flooded with copper skillets? Start making and selling iron ones.
- Cloth type for most cloth products. Wool, barkcloth, cotton, etc. May eventually categorize them a little more broadly, since we'll likely end up with a whole lot of cloth types, and that plus splitting them into animal types could result in too many individual categories.

Wood type is a bit trickier, because there are just so many types. I'm thinking of ways to categorize them a little more broadly, because I really don't want to see the market have 100 fir pegs, 100 pine pegs, 100 alder pegs, 100 maple pegs, 100 juniper pegs, 100 cedar pegs - you get the idea - and for every type of craftable wooden item. So for the time being, wood is wood is wood.

Expect further tweaks and updates as times goes on, some likely reducing the differentiation of categories as more things are released, because item/database bloat is always a concern. I may slightly lower the threshold at which an item's stock is considered "flooded" now that there are so many more stock categories.

P.S. Color is -not- considered. White sheep wool and black sheep wool both count toward the same "sheep wool" category.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Kalista

Post by Kalista »

maybe make the pawnshop accept things too, but at prices slightly cheaper than the market, so that even if the market floods, yeah your finished products might sell for a bit cheaper, they'd still sell somewhere, and pawnshop stuff gets scrapped alot faster? I'm not great at suggesting things, but I try anyway.