sound pack features

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
jescat

sound pack features

Post by jescat »

For those of us who are blind, and use screen readers, sometimes having sounds for certain events can be extremely helpful. Notifications about combat events for example can allow a character to respond to the text on the screen quickly, rather than waiting for the screen reader to finish announcing damage roles. Soundpacks can also be used during crafting in order to tell when pieces are completed, which allows you to fit role play, or going out of the window, into your crafting plans. Because of all the advantages a soundpack can provide, I have decided to attempt to create one for this awesome game, to attract more players. I started this thread so that I can post things that may be helpful for soundpacks. I will suggest that most of these tweaks be togglable options, so that players that do not need these message never have to see them. The first few suggestions will be on the lines below. I will number them and try and give a few different options so that there are choices for the developers whenever possible. Commentary and discussion is welcome.
1. Crafting tasks
When I’m crafting I need to know that the crafting activity is continuing, so that I can fit role play or commands into the spaces between. I respect that the crafting spam has been taken out, because who wants to see "You continue mining" all day. I know I don't. If this wonderful trend of silence is to continue, I would suggest that a line is added below the environment line that says maybe something like (woodworking) or (smithing) every time one of these activities is being undertaken. This would allow me to link the crafting sounds to the room that someone is in, allowing you to hear in complete detail all the crafting racket, for your role playing and command entering pleasure, and if two people are crafting in the same room, I will need to figure out how to overlap the two crafts pleasantly, but that's a realism project for another day.
The other alternative for ensuring that you can hear about all the crafts that are going on around you is to add an option for soundpack users to have that action spam. People would still never see "You continue mining" of course because sound pack creators would usually gag this, preserving the original, and blessedly spam free, flavor of the game.
2. The prompt
The prompt is a wonderful thing for sighted players that allows them to quickly and easily understand everything that is going on around them, with the rapid fire introduction of a few symbols. When using a screen reader though, it can get kind of messy, especially during combat. To this I propose that, within the game, the prompt be optionally separated into a few different commands. I have already seen this with hunger, experience, and exhaustion levels, which can be displayed beautifully, but I suggest that the other stats that are essential in the prompt, such as balance, be displayable as well, so that screen reader users can get these stats quickly and efficiently. If something like this exists already, please let me know. Sometimes these things escape me.
Any other suggestions are welcome. Often creating a soundpack is a huge undertaking, and if you want your craft or combat ability to be added, I will need a string for it so I can add a cool new sound, because I cannot create every type of character. I thank you for your consideration in this matter, as I am trying to make an awesome game even greater, by helping the blind community play it easily and with style.
Rias
DEV

Re: sound pack features

Post by Rias »

Thanks for getting these posted where I can reference them! Expect to see some of these things implemented real soon.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: sound pack features

Post by Rias »

Please enojy the following commands for more concise stat info:

Risk
Balance
Morale
Sanity
Roundtime