Languages and Mixed Race

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Irylia

Languages and Mixed Race

Post by Irylia »

Would it be possible for those of mixed race to still know the language of either their homeland or one of their two lineages where applicable? It makes sense to me that they would learn one from their parents if one was available to them.
Agelity

Re: Languages and Mixed Race

Post by Agelity »

I've been pretty curious how linguistics will ultimately work, and what would need to happen to learn certain language skislls. The character I plan on having as an alt has a desire to learn the languages of their ancestry, however difficult it may be, though being of mixed heritage currently only knows common.

Perhaps for mixed races they could have a bonus to learning whatever their specific heritages would know, but aren't necessarily fluent to start off (so you'd likely want to invest in a bit of linguistics to actually learn one or more of the languages). I guess I'd be a bit curious as to what ideas are currently about for how language + linguistics is intended to work, or what gaps need to be filled to make that a reality.
Rias
DEV

Re: Languages and Mixed Race

Post by Rias »

This one is kind of tricky. What I'm actually thinking of is having everyone simply know Common only from the start, and homeland/race will give bonuses toward learning one of the associated languages, but you'd still need to invest some skill into Linguistics. (Having grown up with it doesn't mean you didn't have to invest a portion of your brain power to it, after all)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO