Container Labels

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Kiyaani

Container Labels

Post by Kiyaani »

It would be neat if we could purchase a stack of labels or tags, write 2-3 words on them, and apply them to packages or other long-term storage containers. This would help with organization when you want to keep certain items of a type all together for easy storage and retrieval. The labels would all be considered in-character.

So if you had a bunch of packages in a trunk, for example, instead of seeing "a package (x10)" and having to keep track of what they all were or look in them all, you would see something like: "a package labeled nails", "a package labeled shirts", "a package labeled Octum costume", "a package labeled poultice herbs", etc. If you decided to change the label you could remove or "detach" it and "write" a new one. Would work for boxes, trunks, crates, chests etc.
Jaster

Re: Container Labels

Post by Jaster »

This sounds familiar.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I don't know how that could be ;)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This is now a thing!
order label
You set your sights on a blank papyrus label.
A small papyrus label with a bit of string, to be attached to something.
You might be able to light it.
It is a tiny item, mainly made of papyrus.
It weighs approximately 0 pounds.
You want 1 of them.
The total price is 5 riln.
You may buy to finalize the order.

buy
You pay 5 riln and receive a blank papyrus label.
[-5 riln, taken from your leather belt pouch]
write Happy Birthday, Gunther!
You consider writing the following on your blank papyrus label:

====================
Happy Birthday, Gunther!
====================

If you're satisfied with this draft, type write confirm to actually write it down.

write confirm
You write on your blank papyrus label with your stick of writing charcoal.

attach
You're about to attach a label that reads "Happy Birthday, Gunther!" to a thick parchment package.
Repeat this command if you're sure.

attach
You attach an inscribed papyrus label that reads "Happy Birthday, Gunther!" to a thick parchment package.

hands
You are holding nothing in your right hand and a thick parchment package labeled "Happy Birthday, Gunther!" (open) in your left hand.

l packa
You take a closer look at a thick parchment package labeled "Happy Birthday, Gunther!" ...
A thick parchment package useful for affordably mailing riln or several items at once via the post office.
It is open.
It is comprised of the following components:
an inscribed papyrus label that reads "Happy Birthday, Gunther!"
Note that looking at the item allows you to see the details of the label itself, so you can buy those fancy-looking labels and people can appreciate them.

Labels can be attached to just about anything but food (and other labels) at the moment, but I'm sure restrictions will be put into place as I think of things. If you can think of items that really shouldn't be label-able, please post suggestions here.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

P.S. You can use the label text for item targeting. Using the above example, I could do "put hat in gunther birthday package", for instance.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Could we get some syntax to attach labels to objects that are on the ground? If a crate is full of stuff, you have to currently empty it out to heave it and attach the label. Would just be a nice QOL update!
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I've added the LABEL command, which does the same thing as ATTACHing a label to an item, except that you can target items on the ground with it. So hold the label in hand, then type LABEL HANDCART to attach the label to a handcart.

As of now, the only types of items able to be labeled on the ground this way handcarts/wagons. Let me know any other types of items that would be good to allow. I'm just being extra cautious about what I allow people to throw labels onto without holding in hand, because generally speaking, if you can't pick it up, it's probably not something that should be personally labeled by someone anyway. I think.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Could we get functionality to remove labels in some fashion?

I'm not sure the best way to fix it so that folks aren't just maliciously removing labels, but I do think there's a possibility, down the road, of an item getting palmed, labeled maliciously, and then planted back onto a PC's person, and the only way to currently combat that would be to label over it which isn't an ideal fix.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 pm I've added the LABEL command, which does the same thing as ATTACHing a label to an item, except that you can target items on the ground with it. So hold the label in hand, then type LABEL HANDCART to attach the label to a handcart.

As of now, the only types of items able to be labeled on the ground this way handcarts/wagons. Let me know any other types of items that would be good to allow. I'm just being extra cautious about what I allow people to throw labels onto without holding in hand, because generally speaking, if you can't pick it up, it's probably not something that should be personally labeled by someone anyway. I think.
Since the only way to label containers (footlockers, crates, etc.) that exceed a certain size is effectively an exploit, it'd be nice if we could use the LABEL command on items like that on the ground - perhaps only in areas that our PCs have ACCESS to, such as a bank vault or on a farm.