Suggestion: Bluestem Grass as a weavable material?

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Prism

Suggestion: Bluestem Grass as a weavable material?

Post by Prism »

This one's pretty straightforward, I imagine.

I think it'd be neat if we could use the grass harvested from bluestem plains as a material for weaving. If not as a direct component for weaving itself-- maybe to be used as fodder to be cut down into plant fibers for weaving into cloth.

Thanks for listening, and have a great day!
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Rias
DEV

Re: Suggestion: Bluestem Grass as a weavable material?

Post by Rias »

I can see it being used to weave straight into baskets and hats and stuff.

Easy-peasy to add, in fact, so head to your local Weaving or Bushcraft trainer and learn any of the following recipes that involve weaving bluestem grass (and any other "wicker" component that may be added in the future) into crafts:

- small wicker basket
- large wicker basket
- winnowing basket
- wicker belt
- wicker bracelet
- wicker bangle
- wicker circlet
- wicker hat

Let me know what other wicker stuff should be added!

P.S. Already looking into wicker shields and armor. They'd be lower durability-wise and damage-reduction-wise than other materials, but the idea is too neat not to implement. (Yes, it's a thing in the real world.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Backpacks! It'd be really cool to be able to weave backpacks and satchels out of wicker, maybe with an added component of cordage/thread for the straps. Sandals would be super useful. A cloak or a cape would be fun, too, though that would probably require straw rather than just grass, and I'm not sure if all types of straw are water repellent or good in inclement weather (traditionally, rice straw in japan was used to make capes/cloaks, as rice straw has a tendency to repel water).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

I want wicker sandals!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Lorenzo Lamas' casual pouch.