Spoilage Rates

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Dennis

Spoilage Rates

Post by Dennis »

Spoilage is going to be a thing and I'm excited for it. Here's some ideas on how rates could be affected or managed!

Time of year/temperature. Hotter temperature means meat spoils faster, so hunters want to hunt less creatures or find ways to mitigate it. Cooler temperatures means meat spoils slower to there'll be less of a demand for freshly slain meat.

Ice box! Slow down spoilage rate by putting it in a ice box. You can stock it with ice, which can be acquired with some difficulty.

Refrigeration units: technology is great. Same as above but with rental fee you pay to the city instead of personally owning.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Re: Spoilage Rates

Post by Rias »

Yes, spoilage is definitely a thing. Nightmares of hundreds of thousands of food items, left to sit "just in case" ... pile of raw meat on the floor ...

I like the idea of various methods of preservation. Refrigeration units though, I don't know. While I know virtually nothing about the technology, I feel like it's beyond the tech level of the game.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Traditional curing methods for preservation would be cool. And while I don't agree with refrigeration units, depending on the geography of the area, perhaps some enterprising individual might own land with caves below, which the people of the town use as (rented) food storage, since it's a pretty consistent 54 or so degrees underground.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

For sure. I'm a modern guy who's never had a day of hardship or refrigeration unit less life, so it popped into my head pretty easily!

Traditional preserving methods and things like potted meat would still be really cool. Cooking with potted meat!
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Since this is in now I was wondering if it would be possible to add a way to almost check the expiration or best-by date on foods so you can choose to eat stuff closer to spoiling first before it goes bad. Or if it might be possible to automatically choose the oldest food of a type when auto-eating with eat <item> all to help cut down on spoilage when you have multiples of an item.

Example:
You carefully examine <item>...
Description...
Bites...
It looks like it would be good <#> <days> before spoiling.
Size...
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Allakazam!
You take a closer look at a dry hardtack biscuit ...
An unappetizing-looking chunk of dry, bread-like substance.
There are about 5 bites left.
It'll probably keep for about a month or more.

You take a closer look at a buttered scone ...
You see nothing particularly unusual about the buttered scone.
There are about 2 bites left.
It'll probably keep for about 3 days.

You take a closer look at an emberberry tart ...
You see nothing particularly unusual about the emberberry tart.
There are about 4 bites left.
It'll probably keep for about less than a day.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Awesome :) Thanks for doing that! Any thoughts on if auto-grabbing food will grab the oldest first? I realize that might be more complicated and it should generally grab oldest first anyway unless bag order gets weird.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

That'd require some more involved coding. It'd be a nicety though, for sure.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO