changing "pine" to "wood" for crafted items

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Pendulum

changing "pine" to "wood" for crafted items

Post by Pendulum »

Whenever you craft items like a handcart out of fir or a dresser out of maple, it always comes up "pine". eg. your finished product is a pine handcart and a pine dresser. I think this applies currently to other wood crafted items. Seems like an easy matter to search the code for "pine" and replace it with the word "wood", yes?
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Firerose

Re: changing "pine" to "wood" for crafted items

Post by Firerose »

I like this very much.

I would add to it by suggesting the following:
If every single piece of a constructed item is made of a certain type of wood, have it be a maple whatever, for example, or whatever wood type it is. Maybe it could be major components, like not count certain pieces in what wood type the game thinks an item is made of.
I know this would cause huge issues for pre-existing items, but maybe there could be ways around this. If a table, for instance, is made of planks of one type of wood, and whatever the legs are was made from another type, it'd just say "wood." But if every single wood piece was a certain type, then it would reflect that.

In the case of wood-hafted weapons, as a separate thing, if tiny wedges are used to attach haft to head, for instance, the object name is a <wood type>-hafted whatever.
My point mentioning that is, perhaps in certain construction recipes, if the pieces are particularly tiny (there may not be any of these) then it would choose the majority used as its type.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Constructed items respecting wood types is very much planned, as stated by Rias. I forget his reasoning behind not having it done at the moment, but :shrug: things happen.

I second the idea of it being maple if it's one hundred or like, eighty percent maple, and just wood otherwise. Keep the long description strings down a bit.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Gorth wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:59 pm Constructed items respecting wood types is very much planned, as stated by Rias. I forget his reasoning behind not having it done at the moment, but :shrug: things happen.
I believe it's just a bug - same for the constructed items reverting to rough quality regardless of your skill.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."