Choose the Craft Recipe to Display

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Choose the Craft Recipe to Display

Post by Gorth »

Several times I've seen #questions about 'How do I show the woodworking version of a recipe over the metalworking one?'

My syntax idea looks as follows.
'recipe info crank handle:woodworking'
'recipe info crank handle' would still work the same as it does, however.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
jerc

Re: Choose the Craft Recipe to Display

Post by jerc »

I'm not sure that this even requires new syntax - just more specific recipe names.

Like there's no reason that we couldn't have "wooden crank handle" and "metal crank handle" instead of both of them being called the same thing. We've already got things like "woven sling" and "knitted sling," so there's an existing precedent for having different materials/processes resulting in a different recipe name.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

jerc wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 pm I'm not sure that this even requires new syntax - just more specific recipe names.

Like there's no reason that we couldn't have "wooden crank handle" and "metal crank handle" instead of both of them being called the same thing. We've already got things like "woven sling" and "knitted sling," so there's an existing precedent for having different materials/processes resulting in a different recipe name.
That wouldn't solve for cases where recipes have shared skills, such as bushcraft, woodworking, and woodcutting.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
jerc

Post by jerc »

That wouldn't solve for cases where recipes have shared skills, such as bushcraft, woodworking, and woodcutting.
That's a solved problem though, isn't it? If a recipe can use one of multiple skills, both are included in the info dump:

Code: Select all

recipe info woven sling
Information on the woven sling recipe (weave):

A primitive yet difficult-to-wield weapon, the sling consists of a simple pouch between lengths of cord used to launch stones. Clumsy and ineffective in untrained hands, the sling can nonetheless be extraordinarily accurate and deadly in the hands of an experienced wielder.
It is a small item, mainly made of (material).
It can be worn on a belt.
It can be used to shoot foes with stones and bullets.

Skill(s) required: Weaving (200) -OR- Bushcraft (200)
   The following additional components are required to craft this item:
      - a skein of thread (x3)
   Considering your current skill, you figure you could achieve the following quality:
      Weaving: average(+0)
Navi

Post by Navi »

Not in all instances. For example

```
Information on the skewer recipe (forge):
A sharpened (material) skewer, useful for basic cooking over a fire.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of (material).
Skill(s) required: Metalworking (0)
Crafted from: metal bloom (It is possible some of the base component will be left over for further crafting use.)
Steps: 14
Considering your current skill, you figure you could achieve the following quality:
Metalworking: average(+0)

```
I have metalworking, and my bushcraft skill allows me to woodwork them, as is evident by recipe known. However, it does not describe details of the recipe using woodworking. All that is shown is the recipe above for metalworking.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
jerc

Post by jerc »

I have metalworking, and my bushcraft skill allows me to woodwork them, as is evident by recipe known. However, it does not describe details of the recipe using woodworking. All that is shown is the recipe above for metalworking.
Right, but this is the case that would be solved by having more material or process-specific recipe names. So you wouldn't have just one "skewer" recipe - you'd have "metal skewer" and "wooden skewer," which could be provided by one or more craft skills as with "yarn" or "woven" slings.