More huntable game, and populate un-huntable wilderness areas

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Rias
DEV

More huntable game, and populate un-huntable wilderness areas

Post by Rias »

I am SUGGESTING you all help me with adding more huntable critters to areas! I just made it easier to do so and keep track of via GM tools (and will prevent any more accidentally hunting up new critters Fellborn makes, ahem), but I don't want everywhere to be the same old huntable creatures. So I was hoping this thread could net me the following from you wonderful players:

1. Point out areas that don't have anything to hunt at all. I do have some noted already via bug reports, but duplicate reports here on this thread is no problem - if you go to hunt somewhere and can't find anything, report the area here!

2. Suggest some huntable animals and, if possible, provide a description for the critters and potential range of pelt colors if applicable.

We'll keep it to prey animals (nothing that spawns as hostile/aggressive) and no fancy new skinnable types of items etc. for now because I really need to primarily focus on Mistral rather than adding new crafting stuff for the time being.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Re: More huntable game, and populate un-huntable wilderness areas

Post by Teri »

Currently the zones near Emberlight and Stormholdt currently lack huntables. Throwing some of my currently written things here (My current written list has more aggressive stuff than prey for the future :D)

Beaver- The beaver is a large rodent that has thick fur, webbed feet and flattened, scale-covered tails. With powerful jaws and strong teeth, they fell trees in order to build homes and dams and change the landscapes around them

Ruffed grouse-This solitary ground dwelling bird can startle many hunters when flushed from undergrowth and taking flight. The ruffed grouse is a chicken-sized bird about 16-19 inches in length. It has reddish-brown to gray-brown plumage and a short crest on its head. It has barred flanks and a black ruff around its neck. It has a short, pointed bill and a long, square, flat tail and feathers legs that becomes feathered toes in winter to act as snowshoes

Arctic Fox-Somewhat dog like in appearance, this artic fox is smaller than other foxes in body and footprints, and has an elongated muzzle with a black nose, triangular pointed alert ears with short legs and a circular bushy tail. The fur is long thick and soft. It is more curious than the red fox and less likely to run from humans, but more agile than it's larger cousins
(Foxes have a wild variation in colour varieties which is cool)
Silvery-grey fox
Silver fox
Black fox
Grey Fox
Last edited by Teri on Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Teri

Post by Teri »

Squirrel- Small, wily rodent with longer rear legs than front legs, and sturdy claws adept for climbing and bushy tails. Colours- Could be red, black, grey variations.
Seal- Large web footed aquatic creature with a large rounded head, and long flippers in place of arms or legs and covered in a slick fur coat ideal for moving their short bodies through water. Colours-Grey, brown variations.
Caribou/reindeer- (An adult caribou has a body size in between a large deer and a small elk) the caribou has a large muscular body with larger antlers, short rounded nose, short tail and large feet, covered in a coat of hollow hairs with ranging patches of white. Colours-Dark grey, brownish grey, grey.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Navi

Post by Navi »

Spiked tail porcupine, based off of the African Brush-Tailed Porcupine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_b ... _porcupine
Description: A rodent of unusual size sporting many thickly dense (color) spines as a coat. When agitated they flair and rattle together. This and a wicked looking rigid tail is enough to give most predators pause, lending to their longevity as family groups. It is rare to find one away from its companions.
Colors: Beige, light-gray, ash-gray, earth-brown, tree-bark brown.
These animals weigh about 3 Kg, but for Cogg’s version, I think it might be alright to have them give the same amount of meat as hares.
Ecosystem: These usually live in tropical locations. Near New Emberlight might be good. Possibly even in a certain coastal forest.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Teri

Post by Teri »

(Porcupine quills could be so cool in the future. I also think gloves should be required for butchery on spiky bois)

Racoon- Round, fuzzy creatures with bushy tails and a black mask of fur that covers their eye area, with dexterous paws for taking and cleaning their chosen foods. Pelt- Grey brown

Blue Sea Snake- This sea snake has uniformly small hexagonally-shaped scales and have paddle-like tails for swimming. They have a very short forked tongue that barely protrude from the mouth, and are highly venomous the rare times they bite or are able to inject venom. Pelt colours- blue, black, pink, brown white. Honestly no end in colour variations. Typically, not aggressive towards humans. Could be a huntable thing, or something fished up that bites.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Wild Turkey

Description: This bird has beady eyes, a fleshy wattle, and a hefty body adorned with brown feathers, with its white-banded tail feathers being especially long and beautiful. It stays close to the ground, strutting the forest floor while foraging for nuts, roots, and insects, and it can be identified at a great distance due to its distinctive and loud call. Despite its weight, it is capable of short bursts of swift flight and is surprisingly aggressive when cornered, making use of its beak and legs when fighting.

OOC Notes: The wild turkey lives primarily in hardwood or mixed conifer-hardwood forests. It nests in dense undergrowth and lays eggs. It sees well in the daytime but poorly at night. It provides a fair amount of meat (far more than most birds) and some feathers, and it should be a surprise challenger in combat for those who are foolishly unaware -- probably almost as difficult as a stonehoof ram.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

This isn't animals, but I noticed the area out west south of the watchtower doesn't have anything to forage so that might need to be looked into as well while you're populating things.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Shamelessly inspired by https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rin ... heasant/id
Often found in brushland, these birds are about the size of a large chicken. Male Ring-necked Pheasants are vibrantly colored birds with red faces and iridescent green necks, which are encircled by a bold white ring. Their lengthy tails are coppery with thin, black bars. Females are brown with paler scaling on the upperparts, and buff or cinnamon underparts with black spotting on the sides. Thin, black bars can be seen on their tails. They mostly walk, and generally only fly when startled by humans.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Prism

Post by Prism »

Aetgardian Moss Gliders
OOC Description: Moss Gliders are small-to-medium creatures which range from the size of large squirrels to that of terriers-- the largest being comporable to medium-sized dogs. They have loose, wrinkled skin, shaggy, fibrous fur, and small, sharp claws which curve noticeably near the tips.
Their facial features are vaguely reminiscent of hamsters or sloths-- with chubby cheeks, small, beady eyes, and whiskers. They have small, slightly protruding muzzles, and wrinkled, loose skin upon their faces.
They're herbivores, subsisting primarily on the moss that grows high and untouched in trees of significant age, and avoid predation via the pattern and appearance of their fur. In desperate situations, they also subsist upon growths of lichen and fungus-- but prefer their coveted moss above all else when possible. When dormant and still, they often resemble tree bark, bundles of dirt, vine, or mossy patches of lichen growing upon the trees they inhabit. Their coats range from hues of brown to gray to, most interestingly, a mossy hue of green resembling their favored food.
Their most distinct feature is the folds of skin they use to glide from tree to tree-- though slow and lathargic, like sloths, they carry the distinct advantage of limited flight, like the flying squirrel. In a pinch, they can use the flaps of skin between their arms and legs to catch strong breezes and leap from treetop to treetop, safely avoiding more agile ground-dwelling predators.
Pelt color range: Treebark-gray, mahogany, chestnut, nut-brown, forest-green, moss-green, charcoal, ash-gray
Location Suggestion: Near the bandit camp, between Tarueka and The abandoned canyon village up in the forest near the river. Perhaps likewise through the woods past barrow hill all the way up and along there? Southeast of Stormholdt could be neat, as well.

Bonus suggestion: Mongooses near Stormholdt, seagulls, pelicans, tiny crabs we could eat off of the beach like savages
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Much thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them coming if anyone has any more! :bogvaskr_starshot_bow: :kurn_mouths:
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO