Mountains of branches and logs

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
artus

Mountains of branches and logs

Post by artus »

Hello
This came to mind after two-three incidents of taking forever helping people chop branches and logs off a single tree, not even massive ones to begin with, let alone larger size. I know it's meant for a group to gather together and do it. But at this current level of generation, even 4 people doing it takes laboriously forever. If it's massive, good luck spending 3+ hours on the entire thing with like 3-4 people doing it, and then take care of like 25+ bundles of 33 branches each, deadwood and straight. It's kind of too much work for an rp that may or may not end up with 7 people doing it together. Even small trees generate a mountain of branches and logs.
I remember Rias saying he has trouble with item load a while back. Item generation from trees may as well contribute to this too given how many branches, logs and blocks people can craft into stuff and/or sell.
Would it be possible to reduce item generation from trees. It seems to be crazily enormous right now.
ironcross

Re: Mountains of branches and logs

Post by ironcross »

I agree, it's gotten a little insane. I was in a group the other day and I was wondering if the tree we were working on was bugged because of the sheer unending supply of branches it was putting out. Furthermore, as there is no indicator of progress when looking at a felled tree, it is difficult to know whether to continue or not.

I understand the value in having trees take a while, and to get some roleplay going involving groups, but, even when you do, it still takes a long time. If a member has to leave, they might miss out on their share. If you're cutting down a smaller one by yourself, you could come back and find it gone.

I'd really like to see the baseline on felling and processing come way down. I'm talking an hour for massive trees. This would count the initial act of felling the tree, as well as debranching and cutting the large logs. This would go down both as your woodcutting skill grows, and the more people you get to help you, with a bonus for having members of your group with high woodcutting skill.

Even considering that woodworking takes branches, trees do yield quite a few, to the point where we could get overwhelmed and scramble for storage. I feel like branch generation could be cut by a half to two-thirds without severely affecting someone's business. Certainly, deadwood branches could be cut by as much as three-quarters, and there would still be enough to keep a fire going a long time.

I think the amount of usable wood you get out of a tree is just fine. If there were more time reductions applied to having a large group working together, nothing says they couldn't do two or three trees in a day. If split down the middle, everyone would get a nice amount of wood from that. This would help those with businesses surrounding woodworking and construction have enough wood on hand to complete a small to medium job.