JUSTICE

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Prism

JUSTICE

Post by Prism »

This is not, in fact, a regular test of the Verungnr alert system.

I've also been mulling this particular thought over for a few days/weeks, and I can't come to any definitive conclusions on it. So, instead of doing that-- I wanted to open up the forum for discussion and thoughts on what the justice system could look like in the respective towns here in game.

The thoughts I had were neat in principle, but have some issues in theoretical execution. I think they're all going to have issues-- but I'll list my thoughts here so people have an idea or two to springboard their own thoughts off of.

My initial thought is that it would be cool if there was a function coded into each respective town where a report could be filed with the standing law enforcement. Those reports would be taken, posted to a board inside of the justice office that only certain individuals have access to, and then-- those individuals could view the reports on the board, investigate the details of the circumstances being reported, and make final reccomendations to law enforcement as to what should be done. Here's a more evocative explanation of that concept as I'd view it in practice.

Baako and Cris are chillaxin' in Shadgard Commons like ballers, vibing to the music the steam radiators make, when all of a sudden, BAM. Baako sees some tall pale fat guy with amethyst eyes sneaking off northward. He points it out to Cris-- who, now thoroughly upset that he's no longer vibing to those steam radiator noises, realizes his precious dagger has been taken from his thigh sheath. And that was a gift from his mother.

So, angered, Cris goes on down to the sherriff's office, makes a report that a man, who's description is tall, pale, fat, bald, and with green eyes, is suspectede of stealing his fine steel dagger. It can be clearly identified as his because it has a big heart scratched into the handle and says, "LOVE, MOMMY" inside of the heart. This happened on Junum the 1st at 2-bells post zenith, and though Cris didn't see it himself-- Baako saw the guy sneaking off right before Cris noticed his dagger was missing. And he definitely had it five or so moments beforehand, because he was just using it to strip the fur off of one of those amazing koalite pelts in the tannery before he decided to take a break and jam out to his favorite khaldean tunes.

Batman, having just been exiled into the lost lands from, Uhh.. I don't know. Uh. Carnath. Yeah, hillfolk Batman. Hillfolk Batman, having just been exiled from hillfolk batman land, has been recently deputized by Shadgard to investigate criminal matters on behalf of the town. Sheriff cotton's only one dude, after all. So he goes into the sheriff's office, high fives the deputy sitting in the chair, walks through a door behind the counter, and checks out the justice board. He sees the report Cris made, and goes off to investigate.

He goes and talks to Cris-- he goes and talks to Baako-- and after hearing the description, he goes and asks around in gravelly batman fashion where he can find the tall pale fat man with amethyst eyes or whatever, eventually figuring out his name's The Nuumic Riddler and that they've a score to settle, now. So Hillfolk Batman goes and tracks down Nuumic Riddler on the roof of the hearth and home in, questions him in a confusing, riddle-intensive and gravelly manner, and eventually decides that he is indeed the guilty party and makes the final reccomendation to Commissioner Cotton to Book 'im. Commissioner cotton, being busy-- gives Hillfolk batman the go ahead to bring down the righteous justice and bring him in, and they all live happily ever after or something.

So yeah. That's the basic idea in execution. Report is made. Report is read by trusted deputy of the town-- elected by the players, and approved by the staff-- the deputy doesn't have any real power but viewing the justice report board, performing investigations, and maybe being able to like, i don't know, maybe imprison people for like an hour or something in extreme circumstances but that could get a little abusable. I just like the idea of the justice system being player-driven in addition to hard-coded for things like violent crime or the like.

It's only one aspect to the finished justice system product that isn't too code intensive, so i figured i'd throw my thoughts out there on it.

If anyone else has justice-system related thoughts, post them here! Give me feedback on my stupid thoughts and stupid stories. Let me know what you think, let everyone else know what you think. Discussion'll bring us to the best final result we could possibly have!

Thanks for the time everybody, have a good one.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "