Cooking Suggestion: Market Influence

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Marcuson

Cooking Suggestion: Market Influence

Post by Marcuson »

I've been thinking about this for a long time. Based on what I've heard, the Cooking skill is going to be kind of a nightmare to code. I'm as passionate about food and drink as anyone, and while it'd be nice to see a whole bunch of tasty food created by our characters, I can't help but wonder if a simplified system might serve us better, at least for now.

Here's what I suggest:
  • Reduce the cap on Cooking skill to 200.
  • Round out Cooking with a handful of primitive recipes that use only one or two ingredients.
  • Implement new food and drink to shops and taverns as needed.
My reasoning is that it's far easier for a GM to create individual dishes or drinks to be served at taverns and shops than it is to code in a new Cooking recipe. Players can indirectly influence the types of food and drink they see in town by selling ingredients to the marketplace. From what I understand, it's assumed that NPC townsfolk are also shopping at the market and buying the items that our characters sell to it.

For example, if hunters bring in new types of meat, or gatherers new types of herbs or fruit, the town might see new dishes at their local eatery. If farmers don't sell wheat to the market, the bakery might have to scale back production.

Rather than create a whole new crafting system, a GM could simply check the market every couple of weeks or so, see what's been sold to the market, and then add or remove dishes from taverns and shops based on what the player characters have been doing.