Small, 'Sleight,' ideas for Artifice.

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Small, 'Sleight,' ideas for Artifice.

Post by Gorth »

I've recently started having a lot of fun with the Artifice commands, sleight of hand tricks, palm getting and dropping to mess with people, and even stealing. My favorite trick is to steal from someone I know (they know I'm messing around), do a sleight of hand trick with it, like fake swallowing a Tention Wrench, and then palm dropping it and being like...where did it go? Ooo...

Anyway, my point is, we have a criminal lack of things to do with Artifice that aren't combat or pseudocombat abilities. So...suggest them! Sleight of hand tricks, other actions beyond palming and stealing? I'm sure we could all use some ideas.

Mine follow:

- I like that you can palm get items, and noone even sees it, but what if you want them to see? A vanish trick that actually vanishes it...into one of your containers. So the viewers might just see: "Maya performs a small wave, the {item} in her hand vanishing with little fanfare." With a perception roll, someone might see, "You watch as Maya atempts to casually slip {item} into her {container} while people are distracted by her hand movements."

- In the opposite vein, perhaps conjuring from a container? Litterally just palm get, but people see the item appear in your hand.

Those are the things I thought up at the moment, but if people have other ideas, perhaps we can spark each other's thoughtstreams. Sleight of Hand and general sneakiness are really cool to me, but I know little about them.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Navi

Re: Small, 'Sleight,' ideas for Artifice.

Post by Navi »

To accomplish the flourishing trick like that, all you would need to do is the following.
1. Emote the action, emote @me flourishes @target. Passing their free hand in front of @target they snap their fingers.
Then palm put or whatever.
Next, emote looks about, seemingly confused, as the item is no longer in their hand.
Just keep in mind what objects can and cannot be palmed.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

PALM OPEN and PALM CLOSE would be nice, maybe only for medium or small containers. I say this because it's an absolute tell to open a pouch, do a palm or steal, and then close it.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Cooperative Plant:

IC Description: Sometimes it's very telling to hand someone an important document in plain daylight. Instead, you could bump into them, and slip it into there pocket. or hand a coin over with a handshake. You just better hope someone doesn't notice, because that is certainly conspicuous.
OOC description: affectively works as the give command, but every action (initiating offer, accepting offer, or canceling offer) all generate checks from the most important target of the action to not be noticed.

Rerolls: 2 to all checks to hide from others (it is cooperative, after all).
Skills used:
Artifice: 75 percent.
Stealth: 25 percent.
Intuition: +15 percent.
Awareness: +25 percent.

Normal skill checks to see Artifice actions apply.
I just think this would be a super neat little ability. it could open up a lot of neat RP, and I love to see people's creativity with emotes and artifice.
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Great ideas in this thread, adding my own: Ability to stealthily apply a label to someone's back. The classic "kick me" sticky note joke. The label can automatically fall off after a few minutes if the person hasn't REMOVEd it by then.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Serity

Post by Serity »

Wow, what an old topic. Sorry to those who saw this on the bot and thought there was something recent being replied to. Anyways...
Gorth wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:14 pmPALM OPEN and PALM CLOSE would be nice, maybe only for medium or small containers. I say this because it's an absolute tell to open a pouch, do a palm or steal, and then close it.
This would be pretty cool. One other addition to this set I'd like to suggest is PALM WEAR/PALM REMOVE - casually and stealthily wearing or removing things like rings, appropriately-sized containers like pouches, things like that.

Rias stated a while ago that card sleight-of-hand tricks would be coming Some Day™ - if you spot this, are those still somewhere (very low) on the list, Rias?