Different Horse Speeds

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Teri

Different Horse Speeds

Post by Teri »

Thinking about speeding past things on the roads but appreciate the decrease energy for travel and I was thinking a walk, trot, canter or gallop or something similar.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Different Horse Speeds

Post by Gorth »

Gorths that *bump* topics in the night.

Forgot to hale Teri for posting our conversation all these moons ago in VC. So here are my thoughts on the matter:
  • Currently I feel as if horses are a bit too luxury:
  • 1: Cutting walking times, in a lot of places, down by quarters. 2: Nearly eliminating energy usage from walking. 3: Nearly eliminating food costs (riln sink). 4: Warhorses. Walking tanks, if you have the right build.
  • There energy pool is significantly higher than a humans. While this is good, and makes sense, especially for warhorses, I have never, ever made a Chestnut winded. Mine barely hit tired after being attacked and dying.
  • I believe horses should:
  • 1: Be slowed down, a bit, at least on certain tiles based on speed (See below). 2: Use up more energy, depending on speed (See below). 3: Require food, or allow some form of *riln sink* bonus to energy item.
  • Argument - Horses are meant to be a luxury: Get over it. Even in real life, horses couldn't run at full tilt like they do in COGG for long, especially carrying the hugely armored, heavy warriors some of them have to do. Poor Mourn.
  • Speeds:
  • 1: I'm thinking, as based on stats, the different horses will have different sized energy pools, different speed modifiers, and different energy usage modifiers. 2: I believe that we should still be able to get to a location at post haste, however, it should require at least one stop for the horse, or a couple moments of slowing down to let them catch there breath. Full speed gallop should likely lower morale of the creature, and heighten chances that the rider may get thrown from the saddle (From spooks or full on attacks). 3: If one were to ride a horse at a canter or quick trot, they would still gain the benifits of not losing as much energy, and by extention food, likely still moving a bit faster, and of course, style points.
  • I personally find it a little silly that I can blitz across the world map in five minutes, and then do it again. And again, and again. While I understand this would slow down rate of travel and playtime in general, I think that's a good thing, personally. It allows for more on-road Role Play, decreases mounted persons' grumblings about having to slow down extreme amounts for on foot persons, and could very well promote more thinking and forethought in Combat groups.
Food for thought.

[Edit] fix formatting. Failure.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

I do kind of think horses currently trivialize any sense of distance in the Lost Lands, considering you can zoom from Shadgard to Stormholdt in a minute or two tops with one
Prism

Post by Prism »

I vaguely remember it being confirmed that energy for horses was temporarily switched off for some reason. For convenience sake at the time, or something like that… I can’t remember. If true, maybe we could do a test run of turning the energy back on and see if that satisfies us?
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "