Play Dead Ability

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Teri

Play Dead Ability

Post by Teri »

Cowardadice tree ability idea: Hit a certain level of energy/wounds and trigger the ability to play dead for a time period/until an action is taken. (Corpse dragging and attacks after foes die would likely make this tricky, but I have been amused at the idea.)
I could envision success and failure dependant on artifice/perception (artifice to palm remove pendant) and perception to spot it.

Additional rogue ability- Achilles stab/hamstring: Make an attack aiming for the leg to hinder/surprise.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Play Dead Ability

Post by Gorth »

I like this idea! However...how would this translate to CVC?
You'd have to output the full amoutn of strings, mortal(s), Hreidun has been Defeated, the pendant going dark, etc, otherwise players will just know. And then the game has to flag you as a corpsefor the purpose of looking, dragging, etc.
Like I said, the idea is awesome, but i'm not sure code feasible.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

If and big if Rias likes the idea, how I could see it working in CvC, input playdead, (while muds and Devs don't enjoy forcing) but your character would lie down and your aggressor would lose target. Perhaps even a feigned death comment. All this would mean is the aggressor takes time to LOOK in a room and see they're still alive to reattack them, while if you're quick enough possibly crawl out of a room from the moment of disengagement. I could see this being useful for possibly adventurers maybe.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I'm a fan of this, conceptually. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to code in, but it would be neat to be able to "play dead" as an ability - I'd personally have it be a contested check of some kind. I'm not sure what skills should go into "playing dead" (maybe a % of artifice or stealth, whatever is highest), but it'd be cool if PCs with Medical could have a chance to "see through" the ruse before the effect ran out.

For what the "play dead" ability should do, I think it should put the character using it into a state wherein they appear to be a corpse for all intents and purposes, and can only be interacted with the same way player corpses can be, for a certain amount of time (Probably 15-30 seconds; enough time for a player to move on, or for someone playing dead to get outta there in the middle of a big fight).

I think pendants, specifically, shouldn't go dark - but that gives sneaky, cowardly folks another reason to cover their pendant up when they're going about their cowardly business.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."