capping off risk accumulation

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Dennis

capping off risk accumulation

Post by Dennis »

Having started to use a risk-based build (Hello, stealth archer!) I'm having a really hard time with the risk resource system outside of sitting away from combat for 3-5 minutes to wait for it to clear on its own. Risk travels with you from room to room, so the accumulation really has a huge impact on your ability to continue to play in stealth. It's not like it takes a long time to build up a queue of risk, one critter of combat is enough to set you out for a few minutes.

I would suggest capping off risk at 100 so that it doesn't take so long to clear out, providing a command to manually clear out risk on a cooldown, or clearing risk on exiting a room, would all be good ways to make this feel smoother.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Ephemeralis

Re: capping off risk accumulation

Post by Ephemeralis »

I think a better solution would be to clear an increasing percentage of risk with each room travelled so long as moving in this way wouldn't ordinarily increase your risk again. Have 100 risk, move to a clear room, lose 30, move to another clear one, lose 18, that kind of thing.

Would add an element of 'tactical retreat/repositioning' to risk-based builds that I think fits them fairly well.
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

I like the above-mentioned solutions. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that if you move to a free room (or at least, if you leave the zone for the wilderness), that the risk sticks to you the way it does.

If those suggestions would be too complex to implement, another possible solution would be: when your character just stays put, takes no actions, then the risk trickles away at triple it's current rate.

Another solution I like would be: when moving to another room, if Risk > 50, then Risk = Risk / 2. If Risk < 50, then Risk trickles away at the rate it currently does. This last solution means low risk sticks to you for a while, but high risk gets cut in half. Make sense?
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Navi

Post by Navi »

Stealth has some pretty significant mechanics when it comes to negative rerolls. Early on it is difficult to engage in combat and finish it within 70 or so risk, if engaging in stealth ranged combat exclusively. However, eventually you'll be able to get kills in three or so rounds, sometimes two. If there's no armor, maybe even one with a good multi-throw. All this is to say I am fine with how things are. Would I say no to faster risk reduction, no. I just don't see it as a significant issue as is.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again