Physickers and player-made unguents

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
debaquila96

Physickers and player-made unguents

Post by debaquila96 »

Greetings.
I wish to bring to you all a suggestion reguarding physickers.
As you know, a physicker which has a very low level and the skill at 100, can make the same unguent as the one which worked for all the time bringing their medical skills at 700. I would like to bring a suggestion... something that could give something more than minor roundtime when you treat patients.
The unguent which a new healer can make is the same as the unguent which an experienced medic can do. For this reason, I'd like to propose more than one type of unguent... first of all. And then, that for example... at skill 100 you can do the pale violet hillant unguent. at 200, you can make something for healing fractures faster. At 400, you can make the unguent for healing frostbites. And of course, aside from this, unguents made by beginners would have a slower effect than the one who has medical at 200, 300, 400, and so on till 700 which will be different and have more quality. Also the color, for distinction purposes, would change.
It could be something which, in my opinion, motivates new healers to raise up their skills.
I'd like to know what you all think about this.
Thank you for the probable discussion will come out.
Dennis

Re: Physickers and player-made unguents

Post by Dennis »

To me, this dances on the line of being too much a power creep function of a game mechanic. Physickers are great and I agree that having more unguents to treat various wounds on the market might be useful.

However, it also skirts around the necessity of having a physicker around! If every wound can be treated by a pre-pared salve, then why bother needing the physicker? Just buy the unguent and take care of it yourself.

I also am of the belief that in COGG, there's a lot less of what I'm going to call scaled ineffectiveness. Whereby you start off being terrible and you eventually become great. In COGG, people start off already average and gained quality is a far stretch.

I know we always talk about the delicate balance of what's fun versus what's realistic, but I'd give an example where a doctor or pharmacist who has been around for 30 years is a trusted professional, but they can't cure a patient in seconds and whatever medicine they concoct doesn't make a disease vanish in an instant. If that were the case, we'd have no more sickness or disease. Their gift is an accumulation of experience and knowledge so they can identify with fewer margins of error and assuage the pains and ailments of the patient in body and soul.

You should have ample cause or reason to raise your skill because you would be a much better therapist, providing longer lasting benefits or more potent benefits compared to when you were a beginner.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

The previous posts touches on something I've struggled with, namely being dependant on people.
I'm making a conscious effert to not have tailoring and high metalworking and high leatherworking so I can repair ll of my gear myself, and make all of my minor components myself and all of this, because even if it's more optimal, and easier for me, I enjoy giving players the opurtunity to find a niche.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
debaquila96

Post by debaquila96 »

Maybe I didn't get the point... but hhat does this fit with the thing I've proposed?