PC-craftable post boards

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Taliaferro

PC-craftable post boards

Post by Taliaferro »

Attention! I have had an Idea.

I have no idea if this is possible, but I want to be able to craft a post board, such as those found at the town commons, and marketplace, and so forth. I want to put one on my farm. It would take up a couple of plots of land, or what have you, and it would persist there. Or you could stick one in your inn room, if you wanted. Like any other item, it'd get janitored up if you left it in some random spot.

My character has a whole bunch of people in his gang, and our schedules don't always match up, and while the IG mail system is lovely, something like this would facilitate RP immensely, I think. For me, anyway!

I might post, "To all who shall see these presents, GREETING. Stop putting pinecones in the troughs. Nothing on the farm eats pinecones." Or, "to all my right trusty and well beloved servants, we shall have a Meeting in Consequence of the Matter of the Noodle Incident this Citisday at suchandsuch o'clock."

Someone might post, "We need more grass," or "Taliaferro is a fink," or "STOP LEAVING YOUR DIRTY CLOTHES ALL OVER THE PLACE."

I don't know how many people are in the same boat as I am, but while I don't like holing up in private places to excess, my character's farm is sort of his home base, where everyone gathers or drops by from time to time, and something like this would be an enormous boon to us, and, I hope, to others!

That is all.
notgreg

Re: PC-craftable post boards

Post by notgreg »

I already told you I don't want to talk about the Noodle Incident.

This is a stellar idea!
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I think this is a wonderful idea. In your situation and even mine own sometimes, especially when in a group who tries to regularly meet with players who live in vastly different time zones than I, this would be a huge boon.

I do think it should be quite expensive, or quite long to craft, or otherwise be a riln/time/some kind of sink, as it is a massive luxury item.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

On the face of it this is a cool idea, but I'm personally not too keen on it for a number of reasons.

The main reason you've already highlighted: I don't think people need more reason to hang out and spend all their time in private locations. Farms in particular are notorious for this. Even if you, as an individual case, make an effort to RP in public places more often, not necessarily everyone will recognise the need for that and the merit in it. Worst case, we end up with lots of small groups of people all spending time cloistered away from eachother, rather than a situation where people are sharing facilities, mess halls etc. which creates opportunity for RP, conflict and surprises. People sharing the same town spaces and rooms also makes it easier for Event GMs to drop in, check out what's happening and interact with players.

While I appreciate this would go some way to making correspondence more intuitive and casual between groups of people (kind of like a COGG group chat), and 'gangs' of players is to some extent inevitable, the idea of exclusive clubs/cliques that can effectively operate and RP in total comfort, independently of a town hub, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Perhaps I am being too wary, and players are more responsible than that, but somehow I don't see it going well in the long run.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I think it's a good idea. I think it's nothing to worry about in terms of allowing a group to function without a town hub. For 1, the farms are part of the town. For 2, for the group to get anything done, they'll have to leave the farm eventually. 3. GMs have done events on farms before. 4. This system is already pretty much doable with a table and labeled documents. The post board would just allow for simpler execution. It's just horizontal instead of vertical.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Tulpa wrote: Perhaps I am being too wary, and players are more responsible than that, but somehow I don't see it going well in the long run.
This is something I personally struggle with as well. At what point do we trust players to play more to the spirit of the game than devolve into the tropes we've seen them do? As a comunity, I've been very much surprised over and over, so I'm usually on the side of letting them get away with things in the name of trust, but that is a slippery slope.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

We don't need these. Make a company, you can use the mailbox to send notices to everyone in your company.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Taliaferro, have you checked out the COMPANY command? You can create an organization to invite your friends and people who visit you into. There's no limit to the number of Companies someone can be in, as far as I know.

When you want to send a mass communication check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=801

To quote Rias,
The founder of a Company can now use the MAIL COMPANY command to send copies of a single-page written document (no multi-page books) to all members of their Company. The cost increases based on the number of members needing copies sent to them. Presumably a scribe is employed to make those copies by hand. The sender will keep the original copy, rather than having it mailed to themselves.

I was thrilled to fulfill this request, as it suggests some player-formed Companies are really getting going!
Back on topic I support this movement. I think that having some kind of communal communication for groups would be nice as well as not everyone is the FOUNDER of a company.
Last edited by Dennis on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

tulpa wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:47 am On the face of it this is a cool idea, but I'm personally not too keen on it for a number of reasons.

The main reason you've already highlighted: I don't think people need more reason to hang out and spend all their time in private locations. Farms in particular are notorious for this. Even if you, as an individual case, make an effort to RP in public places more often, not necessarily everyone will recognise the need for that and the merit in it. Worst case, we end up with lots of small groups of people all spending time cloistered away from eachother, rather than a situation where people are sharing facilities, mess halls etc. which creates opportunity for RP, conflict and surprises. People sharing the same town spaces and rooms also makes it easier for Event GMs to drop in, check out what's happening and interact with players.

While I appreciate this would go some way to making correspondence more intuitive and casual between groups of people (kind of like a COGG group chat), and 'gangs' of players is to some extent inevitable, the idea of exclusive clubs/cliques that can effectively operate and RP in total comfort, independently of a town hub, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Perhaps I am being too wary, and players are more responsible than that, but somehow I don't see it going well in the long run.

Fully agree with Tulpa. I think that this ends up with folks getting more exclusive and cloistered (and inevitably figuring out a way to hide a post board so that it persists in the wilderness, and then getting upset when Rias corrects that down the road).

We already have group mail functionality for Companies - I'd rather see that expanded (with a riln cost associated) for non-leaders to send out mail to the rest of the company, rather than a player made post board that both encourages folks to isolate more and doesn't remove riln from the game.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."