ESP channels

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Teyarflow

ESP channels

Post by Teyarflow »

Some additional default channels for ESP would be great. You could listen to all of these even when tuned to other channels, but you only broadcast on the one you're tuned to. And most importantly, let us tune out the ones we're not interested in.

Gray: Default channel. Let people blather away as they do now about whatever they want. Non stop.
Silver: Commerce channel. For advertising, buying, selling.
White: Events channel. For talk and announcements about events of interest going on. From the opening of a festival to the sighting of an oncoming army.

Any other ideas?

It would also be nice to have some way of creating our own custom channels for our own uses.
Gorth

Re: ESP channels

Post by Gorth »

IIRC Rias has plans for similar...I.E. channels for Shadgard and Mistral Lake ETC.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Maina

Post by Maina »

I would prefer ESP remain for limited use. Mostly just for meeting up with people for RP or announcing emergencies.

A channel for everything is going to make people rely on it over actually meeting people and roleplaying. Definitely no user-created channels. That just leads to cliques. I've seen these things become major problems elsewhere.
Teyarflow

Post by Teyarflow »

I could do without the custom channels but I would rather people clique in private than clique in public and make everyone else have to listen to all their clique talk. They're going to clique either way.

But at least something like a general and a serious channel would be preferred. I want to hear about an event starting or a hunting party arranging to set out to Valeria or a special merchant opening their services, but I shouldn't have to suffer through reading all the random nonsense chitchat that is constantly on gray just to get that.

And by the way I'm not saying I don't want people to have their random chitchat or that it's bad. Anyone who enjoys it is welcome to it. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to tune all that out without also having to reduce any chance of getting involved in actual events going on to near zero.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I have yet to be overwhelmed with ESP chatter, but maybe that's just me playing social characters, I don't know. There's always the option to tell us to shut the hell up...not sure we'll listen, though.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Teyarflow

Post by Teyarflow »

Gorth wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 pm I have yet to be overwhelmed with ESP chatter, but maybe that's just me playing social characters, I don't know. There's always the option to tell us to shut the hell up...not sure we'll listen, though.
I don't want to tell anyone to shut up though, that's the thing. I don't want to take your fun away from you. That's why the suggestion for another channel with a specific purpose. Those who enjoy the chitchat can keep on chitchatting. Those who don't can tune that channel out.
Maina

Post by Maina »

Could also increase the rate of ESP crystal decay when sending messages and/or increase/enforce the delay between messages.

Would rather encourage people to meet up for lengthy IC conversations rather than add more channels. Adding more channels seems to just encourage people to stay split up since they can hold their lengthy conversations without being told to shut up for spamming the main channel.
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

I find the commercial/service seeking posts to be the only wearying aspect of ESP, since they're the only constant. The ability to tune those out at a whim would be great. edit: having said that meaningful RP will come from that too! It's just a bit soul destroying seeing reflection exchanges and nothing else for hours at a time, sometimes. (Could be a timezone specific thing.)

IC chatter is fine, desirable even, as far as I'm concerned, especially with current player numbers. If wearying, removing your pendant seems like a reasonable action that doesn't ask or detract from the game too much.
Last edited by tulpa on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

There's already another channel that pendants can be attuned to, and that players can tune into and out of if they have that attunement.

However, I'm pretty wary of making the pendants more convenient, as I think that takes away from the coolness of them, and the theme of the game a bit - pendant usage, in fiction, is pretty rare because they're weird occult artifacts that are mysterious and kind of spooky, and people don't really understand much about them.

I think having more channels that can be tuned into, long term, is fine - but I don't know if I like the idea of being able to monitor several color channels simultaneously.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Lore wise, and channels also don't make sense. I like the idea, however, if you're attuned to say white chat for events and no one has events you won't hear anything from say silver attunement and someone has a really sweet sword you want to buy. You won't hear the channel unless you're tuned to it. It's the same with Gray and Amber right now. interesting idea just not sure it would work to it's full effect IC
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias