Various Quality-of-Life Suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Delphine

Re: Various Quality-of-Life Suggestions

Post by Delphine »

It'd be great if we could have a "news stand" container in the Commons that is just for the distribution of documents so people don't have to wade through all the junk in the donations crate to get to the latest meeting transcript or what-have-you.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Hello, this is my first day on the COGG BBS.

For an IC quality of life request, I have the following:

One thing I noticed was the absence of a very simple and essential staple item (the common bandage) in remote shops that sell a good number of other items, or have a physicker present. I am thinking especially of Stormholdt Castle's Storehouse, Blackwater's Trading Post, Qamar Library's annex, and New Emberlight's Triage Tent.

It seems off balance that these places can sell you soap, labels, lanterns, clothing, knives, and more, but not have any bandages to sell and tragically have someone bleed to death on their floor.

It does seem realistic that these shops would charge more, say around 20 - 22 riln instead of the 13 riln that the Shadgard Infirmary has them priced at.

Thank you for a fun game!
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

My character gets things in the mail, with no way of knowing who sent it unless a letter is included.

Without removing the option to mail things anonymously, could there be the option to have the name and/or post box number affiliated with the mailing showing up when one goes into the post office and types in "check"? I might even suggest that by default, the post master tells you which person mailed you the item, and the sender can use a syntax to opt out and make it anonymous (for example mail anon 2909)
- Roy E. Disney
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

Pendulum wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:24 pm My character gets things in the mail, with no way of knowing who sent it unless a letter is included.

Without removing the option to mail things anonymously, could there be the option to have the name and/or post box number affiliated with the mailing showing up when one goes into the post office and types in "check"? I might even suggest that by default, the post master tells you which person mailed you the item, and the sender can use a syntax to opt out and make it anonymous (for example mail anon 2909)
In real life, you can send packages, and letters without a return address. Why would the Post Master break confidentiality laws to tell you who mailed you something? That kind of goes against how a post office is supposed to work. If people aren't signing things, that's on them. That's not a reason to make an NPC automatically know the names of every single person in the game, and what they look like just so it's easier to know who is sending a letter.

You could y'know, just ask ICly "Yo, uh, I just got this big red dress and high heels. Um. There was no return address... and it's not really my style." If no one responds, then you just resell the dress, or give it to someone. No skin off your nose.

I should also add: That there are far more NPCs and vNPCS then we see in Shadgard then just the PCs, and to expect the Post Office NPCs to know every single person that crosses their path with a letter seems really silly. I'm kinda growing annoyed at this culture that NPCs don't matter.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Onasaki wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:47 am
Pendulum wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:24 pm My character gets things in the mail, with no way of knowing who sent it unless a letter is included.

In real life, you can send packages, and letters without a return address. Why would the Post Master break confidentiality laws to tell you who mailed you something? That kind of goes against how a post office is supposed to work. If people aren't signing things, that's on them. That's not a reason to make an NPC automatically know the names of every single person in the game, and what they look like just so it's easier to know who is sending a letter.

You could y'know, just ask ICly "Yo, uh, I just got this big red dress and high heels. Um. There was no return address... and it's not really my style." If no one responds, then you just resell the dress, or give it to someone. No skin off your nose.

I should also add: That there are far more NPCs and vNPCS then we see in Shadgard then just the PCs, and to expect the Post Office NPCs to know every single person that crosses their path with a letter seems really silly. I'm kinda growing annoyed at this culture that NPCs don't matter.
This is a section for suggestions and tweaks. You might not personally enjoy some of the suggestions, but I feel it a bit unnecessary to respond like this especially to someone new to the bbs. It shuts down any discussion instead of us bouncing ideas. I personally like an option/opt in/out for people knowing who I send mail that doesn't require a signed letter. "Yes, I paid the post office to send this candy to you." instead of needing a package to shove the letter in with the candy.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Yes, that was an unnecessarily caustic response from Onasaki. If you disagree with something, just disagree with it. Or just ignore it, and trust that the GM's will make the right decision. I didn't say the Post Master automatically knows everyone's name, any more than I said the Post Master automatically knows everyone's mail box number off the top of their head. But mentioning one's name at the counter could be a subsumed conversation. I didn't say it would be at all mandatory, as you have made my suggestion out to be. Beyond the subject being discussed, the tone of your post is unhealthy both for yourself and this community, Onasaki.
- Roy E. Disney
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

Wasn't intended to be caustic, it was intended to be funny, hence the joke about a red dress. But, I apologize for it coming off any other way, that was not my intent. It was also very early in the morning.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Bonfire. Giant bonfire to chuck the pile of branches into it that are sitting around the canyon.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Teri

Post by Teri »

Kaiju: I want a first aid command, like food, that checks unguents/bandages
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

I noted the deterioration rate on sewing needles is disproportionately fast. Having worked in a clothing store environment for over 10 years, I know that our tailors used the same needles day in, day out for over a year without needing to replace them. Here in COGG you repair maybe six or seven items, and it's scuffed, six or seven more, well-worn, etc. Broken in less than a workday of tailoring in COGG. And this is my fine steel needle I am talking about.

My request would be that our small needles would be three or four times more durable than they currently are. Or that the deterioration rate to be only one third or one fourth as rapid, same difference.
- Roy E. Disney